• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

UK chip giant ARM developing discrete GPU in Israel, to take on Nvidia, AMD and Intel

Soldato
Watch out Nvidia, AMD and Intel the UK chip giant is coming for you!!!

TechPowerUP | Posted on 19 August 2024 said:
According to a recent report from Globes, Arm, the chip design giant and maker of the Arm ISA, is reportedly developing a new discrete GPU at its Ra'anana development center in Israel. This development signals Arm's intention to compete directly with industry leaders like Intel, AMD, and NVIDIA in the massive discrete GPU market. Sources close to the matter reveal that Arm has assembled a team of approximately 100 skilled chip and software development engineers at its Israeli facility. The team is focused on creating GPUs primarily aimed at the video game market. However, industry insiders speculate that this technology could potentially be adapted for AI processing in the future, mirroring the trajectory of NVIDIA, which slowly integrated AI hardware accelerators into its lineup.

The Israeli development center is playing a crucial role in this initiative. The hardware teams are overseeing the development of key components for these GPUs, including the flagship Immortalis and Mali GPU. Meanwhile, the software teams are creating interfaces for external graphics engine developers, working with both established game developers and startups. Arm is already entering the PC market through its partners like Qualcomm with Snapdragon X chips. However, these chips run an integrated GPU, and Arm wants to provide discrete GPUs and compete there. While details are still scarce, Arm could make GPUs to accompany Arm-based Copilot+ PCs and some desktop builds. The final execution plan still needs to be discovered, and we are still waiting to see which stage Arm's discrete GPU project is in
Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/325707/...-plans-on-competing-with-intel-amd-and-nvidia
Original Source: https://en.globes.co.il/en/article-uk-chip-giant-arm-developing-gpu-in-israel-1001486761

Probably builds up on their existing Mali/Immortalis designs. Curious to see how it'll perform as a standalone discrete GPU. Last line speculates it may be for ARM based PCs though, but I guess only time will tell who the target audience for these GPUs are.

I thought arm only developed designs. Wouldn't this technically mean companies like Qualcomm would actually have a physical product instead out of it.

How long does it take going from start up like this, to actually getting a GPU out the door to consumers?

if you mean compete with desktop gpu from and and Nvidia, most likely a very long long long time from now or probably never. Intel has a lot more resources and they have not even managed mid tier card with 4060ti performance yet after how many years trying? By all means I hope both arm and Intel succeed.

Last edited:
Competition is desperately needed. The current market is so stale with Nvidia being super expensive, AMD happy not to innovative and price products in-between Nvidia's options and Intel who are trying but don't have a compelling product.

I blame the lack of actual next gen game titles on the fact that we only have two main players in the industry only one which is interested in supplying cutting edge hardware to console makers. This generation of consoles really lack any sort of cutting edge features that weren't already available on the previous era hardware. Sure graphics resolutions and frame rates have improved but titles don't look that much better (see the up and coming next Star Wars game as a prime example).

Hopefully the financial benefits will remain in place so it attracts more investment in the consumer and professional graphics market.

I wonder if Apple will follow suit and build a dedicated games console now they have their own graphics I.P?

if you mean compete with desktop gpu from and and Nvidia, most likely a very long long long time from now or probably never. Intel has a lot more resources and they have not even managed mid tier card with 4060ti performance yet after how many years trying? By all means I hope both arm and Intel succeed.
Yep this will be dead in the water pretty much. Just look how long it took Intel as you said!
This sounds more like a bad first April joke!

Don’t forget arm already has working GPUs in lots of smart phones it’s not like they are starting from scratch.

Back
Top Bottom