UK Holiday Ideas?

Soldato
Holiday Ideas?

Afternoon all,

I've not been on holiday for nigh on 4 years now and am about due for a week where I go somewhere. I'm tight/lazy so was pondering over a staycation in the UK around end of June/July, however I'm completely stumped as to where.

Soooo, suggestions on a postcard, please? I live in London so am slightly leaning towards the south where the obvious one is Cornwall; Penzance looks quite nice and as expected there's a few AirBNB options out there

Not too much by way of requirements as long as I can get there relatively easy by train and there's a nice beach, I'll be going by myself so nobody else to entertain.

Edit: As so many of you have mentioned it's cheaper to go abroad I am willing to take suggestions

Ta!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Slightly stupid but I can't be bothered going overseas right now unless it's cricket related; England's next tours are Australia and New Zealand in late 2017/early 2018.

Train/coach won't be a problem at all, and AirBNB places for the most part can fit within my budget

Soldato
OP
You're right, that is stupid.

Can't be bothered? What does that even mean? :confused:

Travel to/from airports, check ins, getting absolutely nothing out of my currency, language etc. Just can't be bothered with the hassle of it all.

Just of the opinion staying in the UK for once might not be a bad idea as there's still some beautiful parts of the country worth seeing. Besides I've been to Luxembourg, am I not cultured enough as far as Europe goes? Hah.

Soldato
OP
Whilst you obviously can only book 12 weeks ahead on most train websites Penzance returns were still £100 or so. Welp. Anyone familiar with the Pembrokeshire area?

Also another 'can't be bothered' when it comes to going abroad is baggage costs; was looking on a few cheap thrills websites and it's more often than not an extra £30 each way for luggage, screw that.

Soldato
OP
IMO you should probably go abroad if you can, simply because it won't be an option for many soon (due to Brexit and the incoming fall of the pound/economy).

Will be acquiring an Irish passport sometime this year, not worried too much about going overseas.

FWIW I just looked at flying to Madrid from London Stansted 1st-8th July

• Train from Liverpool Street to Standsted £15
  • Stansted to Madrid with 20KG check in £103.99
  • Cab from airport to hotel- ?
  • Average AirBNB room in Central Madrid £30 a night plus service fee = £250 or so
  • Cab from hotel to airport- ?
  • Madrid to Standsted with 20kg check in £93.99

Without throwing in food/drink and spending money that's looking at nearly £500. I'm failing to see how everyone thinks that going abroad is that affordable...

Back
Top Bottom