• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

'Ultra Quality Settings are Dumb' article

Soldato
Link here:
https://www.techspot.com/article/2338-ultra-vs-high-settings/

I think this is often true on the latest games, but it depends heavily on the resolution / total pixels being displayed. I'd say the exception is if the game supports features like DLSS (quality mode) and FSR.

Extra graphics options, beyond the quality of the PS5 / Series X level of quality just seem optional in many cases. Smooth and high framerates is were the PC can still shine, along with the ability to alter post processing effect settings.

Cyberpunk can be particularly demanding on the Ultra preset, and worse with 'psycho' set on some options.

I would really appreciate it, if games released on all platforms just had a Series X quality preset, the other huge improvement would be even better temporal AA or equivalent.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I think a console preset selected by default is the best way to go, players can just jump into games and get at least the same quality as consoles released in 2020, without playing around with settings, until an acceptable performance level is reached.

Soldato
OP
..I dunno, if you spend £1400 on a 3090, seems dumb to run at anything less than 'Ultra'...otherwise, why did you bother spending such an absurd amount.

I agree, but developers basing setting presets on hardware like a RTX 3090 / RX 6900 XT is hardly representative of the majority of gamers. It's actually not that uncommon for some settings, despite being more demanding, to contain visual artifacts, like screen space reflections in Cyberpunk.

Maybe just have an additional preset called 'Experimental' for untested/very demanding settings.

Soldato
OP
Why have a console preset on PC when you could just buy a console for a lot less money instead.

Higher framerate (60 /120 fps), and the ability to tweak low performance impact options like post processing. Personally, higher/smoother framerates is why I stick to PC gaming. That, and mod integration for many Steam games. And the lack of DRM on some stores, like GOG + cheap / free games on Epic.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Adding an additional console preset would be pretty easy for developers to do (low, medium, high, experimental/ultra would still be present), I don't see any problem with this.

Soldato
OP
I think game devs have worked out that PC gamers have a tendency to play with their nobs for a bit.

They'd hate it if that was no longer required.

I mean the in game settings, ofc :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom