ultra x connect blown

Soldato
just been building a rig out of old bits and was using this psu when i finished the build and turned it on there was a small pop at the back near the psu when i looked at the unit i released that it had been set on the wrong setting for europe should have been on 230 and it was set on 320 ( think thats right) any way is it nackered or is there a fuse inside the psu that has blown :confused: :confused:

It'll hopefully just be the PSU... you'll have put 110v through it instead of 230v so there shouldn't have been a massive voltage going through anywhere. Try a different PSU and see what happens.

bbreezeuk said:
u should have got a better PSU, ultra x connects are know for exploding

Yeah but it wasnt the PSU in this case, it was user error.

Id like to find a psu that wouldnt blow up with the wrong voltage going through it?

:D

t_aitch said:
Yeah but it wasnt the PSU in this case, it was user error.

Id like to find a psu that wouldnt blow up with the wrong voltage going through it?

:D

My Hyper Type R does it... there's no switch to get wrong, it just automatically adjusts itself to the right voltage... although I'm yet to travel to the 'states to test it :p

Putting a higher voltage through the lower voltage setting explodes the PSU. You need a new one or RMA. Doing it the other way through round wouldn't give any permanent damage apparently.

steveo said:
i bought it 2 days after they where released so how was i to no it would blown up couple years later :rolleyes:
Don't buy things just after they have been released?

And to the guy who's pimping the Hyper Type R, thats also known to blow up on occasion.

It sounds like the chieftec psu isn't sending the pwrOK signal to the board, which could mean its not powerfull enough to cope with the startup current causing the rails to drop a bit. It may work if you unplug a few things. Worth a try. It couls also mean that something on the board is shorting in which case as you say the board is porbably dead.

I've got a psu doing this to me atm, powers up for a very shot time then stops. Unplugging a drive at startup fixes it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom