UN calls for Guantanamo closure

Associate
from bbc.co.uk

The United Nations has called for the immediate closure of the US detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, in Cuba.

In a report on conditions there, the UN says the US should try all detainees or release them "without further delay".

The UN investigators allege that some aspects of the inmates' treatment amount to torture.

The US has rejected most of the allegations, saying that the five investigators never actually visited Guantanamo Bay.

About 500 people are imprisoned at the facility, many of whom were detained more than four years ago.

One of the investigators, UN special rapporteur on torture Manfred Nowak, said that the detention of inmates for years without charge amounted to arbitrary detention.

Access row

Speaking in London before the release of the report, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Louise Arbour said she could not endorse every recommendation made by the report - but that she could see little alternative to closing down the facility.

In its conclusions, the report urges the US government to "refrain from any practice amounting to torture or cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment", including the force-feeding of hunger strikers through nasal tubes.

In particular, it says, special interrogation techniques authorised by the US defence department should not be used.

The report ended by demanding that the UN be granted full and unrestricted access to the camp's facilities, including private interviews with detainees.

The US invited the UN to the camp, but refused to grant the investigators the right to speak to detainees in private.

The UN said that private interviews were a "totally non-negotiable pre-condition" for conducting the visit and refused to send investigators.

_41328974_guan203ap.jpg

Permabanned
When other countries ignore the UN, the US bombs or invades them.. (in fact Iraq was complying fully with the UN just before the US invaded, but the US invaded anyway).. but it's one rule for the US and one for everyone else.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
The UN wont invade but America will suffer a lot if Europe but sanctions on them. It depends on how serious the UN are being about this, America should take the hint if the UN put their foot down. It's in America's better interest to not fall out with Europe. The reasons go beyond sanctions or trade - politics too.

Soldato
the UN can call for this until they're blue in the face, but i think the chances of america listening are about slim to none.

I suspect they've done this to try and appease other members of the UN who disagree with Guantanamo

Permabanned
The UN is just a farce now, it has no power and no influence over anybody. The USA will not comply here, i do fear we are on a road to the UN being disbanded as completely useless.

Caporegime
LOL as if the Americans...sorry i mean Bush will or would listen to the UN. If that happens then it would be a cold day in hell tbh:p.

Perhaps the Canadians should bomb America for a bit, maybe thats what they need..a good spanking to keep them in check:D:D

Permabanned
The United States is a country of laws with an open system of constitutional
government by checks and balances, and an independent judiciary and press. These issues
are fully and publicly debated and litigated in the United States.

But ignores rest of the world

To preserve the
objectivity and authority of their own Report, the Special Rapporteurs should review and
present objective and comprehensive material on all sides of an issue before stating their
own conclusions.

Here we invite you to Guantamino bay, *lots of smily happy people in jumpsuits* /staged

Instead, the Special Rapporteurs appear to have reached their own
conclusions and then presented an advocate’s brief in support of them. In the process they
have relied on international human rights instruments, declarations, standards, or general
comments of treaty bodies without serious analysis of whether the instruments by their
terms apply extraterritorially; whether the United States is a State Party -- or has filed
reservations or understandings -- to the instrument; whether the instrument, declaration,
standard or general comment is legally binding or not; or whether the provisions cited
have the meaning ascribed to them in the Unedited Report.
This is not the basis on which
international human rights mechanisms should act.

Good point, INVADE!!!!111oneone!!111

Taken from the letter at the end of the following document

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/16_02_06_un_guantanamo.pdf

Gotta love the USA for its own stupidity

Last edited:
Permabanned
The last time that happened, there was a World War. Remember the League of Nations?

Indeed i do, thats why i brought it up. I can fully see the Arab world uniting in a war against America and Israel. The arabs would get their assed kicked, but i can fully see a very nasty conflict arising again very soon.

Back
Top Bottom