Unable to OC my i7 6700k

Associate
Hi Guys and Gals,

I am wanting to OC my CPU (i7 6700k Skylake), the issue I am coming across is that after I have OC'd it blue screens and says it crashed due to it being OC'd too much. What I don't understand is that my computer should easily be able to OC it up to 4.5GHz but it won't go past default 4Ghz.

I have
i7 6700k Skylake - 50°c
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 - 66°c
CW-9060028-WW 120 mm Hydro Series H45 Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus Z170-A ATX Motherboard - 52°c
16.0GB DDR4 RAM (GSkill Ripjaw)
PSU 750w (can't remember make)
2x3TB WD 30°c
250gb Samsung SSD 750 EVO 30°c

Please can you advise why I am unable to OC without crashing. Even at 4.15GHz it doesn't agree and crashes.

ps. temps are recorded whilst playing player unknown battlegrounds.

Thanks,

Wolfy

Associate
OP
Hey mate, I am doing it through BIOS at doing it manually by adjusting the cores stress testing then increasing/decreasing if necessary (however it just crashes to blue screen, I think it was clock watchdog timeout), I'm not too savvy on OC but watched a few vids and this is what is advised.

Soldato
Okay, I think with your motherboard you should have the EZ Tuning Wizard somewhere in the BIOS where you can set it to performance and it will overclock for you?

Alternatively you can install ASUS AI Suite from the following link, under Utilities, https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/Z170-A/HelpDesk_Download/

Which also has an overclocking wizard which you can access in Windows once installed.

I'd say this is the easiest way to start and then once you're stable at the settings it gives you, you can work on lowering voltages etc to save un-neccesary heat.

Good luck :)

Associate
OP
I used the EZ tuning wizard as well and it OC'd it to 4.15GHz and it Blue screened, so that was useless. I'm just a little confused as it should easily be able to handle it.

Thanks for your quick replies.

Soldato
Are you saying you're increasing the ratio but not increasing the voltage? If so, that's the problem. What's your voltage at currently?

Last edited:
Soldato
A reasonable start might be to change the 1-Core ratio limit to 42.

CPU Core Ratio set to sync on all cores

CPU Core/Cache Voltage to Adaptive mode

Offset voltage to 0.001 - might need to change that, but a reasonable start.

CPU Load Line Calibration to Level 4.

The above works fine for me at 4.5Ghz and I need to add a little more to the Offset voltage if I want 4.6Ghz.

There are variables or alternatives. But that is a start :)

NOTE: I only listed settings for the CPU and its clock speed not the memory.

I personally would not use any EZ or wizardry stuff. Once you get the hang of OC, stability testing and monitoring of voltages and temps whilst under load etc, it is pretty straight forward - unless you have hardware problems or pushing too high etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
I will try this when I get back from work

Thanks for your reply

No problem

Let us know how you go on.

Just to add, without getting beyond what you asked as it can be related, my 3200 DDR4 memory runs fine with an XMP profile selected, it applies the correct timings. I just need to set the voltage to 1.35v IIRC.

Sat in McDonald's, not at my PC so this is from memory.

Also use CPU-Z to check what the CPU voltage is when it ramps up to 4.2ghz and then how stable it remains, related to the LLC setting, when being tested at 100% load.

Last edited:
Associate
sounds like the auto oc thing is trying 103-104fsb and its falling over.
overclock using the turbo multiplier eg 40x to 42x and set it to all cores.

Soldato
I got your PM asking me about Skype and now I've seen your post.

Sorry but I don't have Skype and whilst I have some familiarity with overclocking my 6700k I would not consider myself an expert.!

Just keep your questions in this thread and if I or others can help you then we can all contribute.

The good thing about doing it this way is that any suggestions which might not be appropriate for your system could be picked up by others more experienced.

What are you struggling with.?

Although I do have an Asus board I do not have your model, not sure if that makes a difference to the bios options.

Last edited:
Soldato
Maybe for you but that's very much opposite for me. I prefer to sit, read and deliberate.

Historically supporting family members over the phone had never gone well for me, but that could be more of my aversion and limitations in doing that.

Hopefully someone else will see the thread and might be able to offer you a solution to what has already been added.

In the meantime spend time going through the many Skylake overclocking threads, in this and the CPU section.

There are many guides as well regarding Skylake overclocking with an Asus board on the Net

Back
Top Bottom