Under investigation at work

Associate
Guys,

Advice needed, please. Went on a retirement doo for my old boss, we were talking about an ex employee that was fired 3 years ago for gross misconduct. At that time and after copious amounts of alcohol, we began to read through the barrage of abusive texts he had sent us through WhatsApp. One of my colleagues drunkenly grabbed the phone to read and accidentally knocked the camera button to take a selfie. When handing it back, rather than discarding the taken selfie, it was accidentally sent. It happened so quickly and was like something out of an American Pie film, it sounds and felt so far fetched. We never thought much about it as WhatsApp popped up with an encryption message and we assumed the individual was blocked, meaning the photo couldn't be sent. The following day, I received a barrage of abusive texts and missed calls from the individual. I immediately checked if they were blocked, which they weren't and I made sure they were.

I spoke with the union who said to leave it as the photo wasn't abusive and they are no longer employed by the company. 3 weeks later, HR are now investigating the matter due to the individual complaining to the company. The investigation is tomorrow, but I am wondering where I stand with this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

T_IT

Associate
OP
Because clearly the person isn't someone you/anyone should remain in contact with and clearing past conversations with them would avoid issues such as this.
You're right, and as such, not having his details would have avoided this situation. However, the individual was let go because of their threatening and absuive behaviour to several team members, including intimidating and harassment of females. After several apologies and the continued behaviour, they were finally dismissed. The conversation was kept as a record in case it was ever needed as evidence in the future. Their number was stored and kept as it needs to be to keep the block on it, sadly it wasn't blocked in WhatsApp for some reason.

Some people have asked if it was a screenshot of selfie. Basically, when handing the phone to my colleague, they hit the camera button which subsequently went onto the forward facing camera and displayed an image of her and me next to her. She panicked as she has an iPhone and this is android, she went to get off it and hit capture. On me grabbing the phone back in haste, the image was sent. Nothing else was sent and the following day I received several phone calls and abusive messages from the individual. I reported and blocked them which deleted the WhatsApp messages and history.

I am now under Investigation as the works doo was arranged in works time for a, then works colleague. The Individual has claimed they are aggrieved by the message and work are investigating it as it may be classed as harassment. Please bear in mind this incident is isolated and hasn't ever happened before. The individual was dismissed over 3 years ago and has continually attempted to contact myself and various other employees and has indirectly threatened us and given us abuse via email, social media and in person. Something which the company have said can't they do anything about but can only advise and support (due to it being personal).

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If your asked what happened just explain to them what you said here. You've done nothing wrong IMO and have nothing to hide, honesty is the best approach.

I intend on telling the truth and being honest. As far as I am concerned I have done anything wrong. Yes it's unfortunate a message was sent, however it has nothing to do with the company and surely they will see this. They are saying it's potential harrassment and they are involved as the works doo was arranged using a works email and sent to their members of staff. I'm guessing, even though the event location was external, due to it being a retirement doo with present staff, we are representing the company as such. Work also provided the alcohol or a part of it via a company credit card given to one of the managers.

Associate
OP
That story you have come up with complete BS and HR will see right through it.

However, if that is the story you have told HR/your company then you will now have to stick with it to the end and hope it goes your way.

:rolleyes: I love how people are experts in what actually happened. Thankyou for your excellent advice :D

I challenge you to have copious amounts of alcohol, have your friend or partner hold your phone and take a photo on WhatsApp, then quickly pass the phone back to you whilst the photo is on the screen, awaiting it be sent. Do this about 10 times and see how many times you accidentally press send. Very easily done. I have nothing to hide and HR have the photo which was accidentally sent. All I can say and do is tell the truth and leave it at that. Even if I sent the photo deliberately, it makes no difference. I have not made contact with the individual in the last 3 years, even though they have tried to contact me and have threatened me on several occasions. This was clearly an accident and an isolated incidient. I have my investigation tomorrow and will update in due course.

Associate
OP
Hi guys,

Sorry for the slow update. I just gave my version of events and gave the details of my colleague who the phone was passed to. They have spoken to her and asked her the same questions. They will make a decision in due course and update me Monday with the action, if any, that will be taken.

We both said, for 3 years this Inidivudal has harrased us directly and indirectly, threatened us and intimidated us. Even to the point where the company had the Individual suspended off Twitter and has two of us working nights together as a precaution. Yet nothing was ever officially sorted and we were told to ignore the said individual. But when this accident happened, which is the only time anybody has made contact since their dismissal, the victims are now under investigation.

Such a shame and a gross waste of time and money. I will update you with the decision in due course.

Associate
OP
So... which is it?
Up until 3 months ago, the individual was tagging me and others in vulgar and threatening tweets. Obviously we weren't responding and were blocking him. He would make other accounts and continue to intimidate and harass us. We notified the company who offered us support but couldn't actually do anything. We spoke to the police who also said it is very difficult as he isn't actually threatening us directly and his tweets are very cleverly written and could actually be read in several ways.

However, 3 months ago, he tweeted several times tagging the company. This is obviously bad publicity for the company and they took the appropiate actions which lead to his account closure and a solicitors letter. I haven't heard or seen any tweets since, but now I've sparked things off by accidentally texting/sending a photo to him.

Back
Top Bottom