Understanding Mortgages - First time buyer

was hoping you helpful lot can give me some advice with this and what my options may be.

I've saved up £15k from last year, and this year hope to be able to get another £15k or so by Christmas giving me £30k. I can borrow from family, though only small, they could increase my deposit to around £38k to £42k.

my partner doesn't have so much, but by christmas we'd hope she can input just under £10k herself.

we currently rent a 3 bed house but were allowed to have other friends live with us, so although the rent is £1.5k per month, we actually pay almost nothing for rent, then just pay the bills between us.

This got us thinking that if we were to be able to buy a house similar to what we rent, we'd actually be making a profit as say it was the exact house we are in now, we'd have a reception room that's unused and another persons input, plus we'd not have agency fees, landlords profit etc that we're paying now by renting.

so we thought to see what our options are with regards to buying a mortgage. i've spoke to 2 big banks over the phone now, and neither offer a mortgage where you are allowed to rent bedrooms out so we'd have to do it unofficially, and unfortunately it wouldn't be taken into account with the options as to how large of a house we can buy.

at the moment, i've gone through the online calculators, and between us, we're only being offered a mortgage of £290k, which is enough for a flat/tiny house. no good for us as ideally we're hoping for a 3 bed place, or at least a 2 bed with a reception room maybe that could be rented out for a year or so.

anyone know what our options are? are we likely to ever find an option that would suit us like this?

Man of Honour
I rent a spare room out to my mate, I just didn't tell the lender about it when he moved in and my IFA told me not to mention it to the new lender who I am now with. I do however declare the rental income on my self assessment, if you do that it is up to you.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I think your only option is to move, if you can't find the size house you want at your budget.

Soldato
Move from Surrey............... £290k would get you a 4 bedroom detached house with large garden where I live!!!

Aside from that - are you declaring the rental income your getting just now from your friends who are staying with you to HMRC??

Soldato
I rent a spare room out to my mate, I just didn't tell the lender about it when he moved in and my IFA told me not to mention it to the new lender who I am now with. I do however declare the rental income on my self assessment, if you do that it is up to you.

Move from Surrey............... £290k would get you a 4 bedroom detached house with large garden where I live!!!

Aside from that - are you declaring the rental income your getting just now from your friends who are staying with you to HMRC??

Fairly sure the answer is no

;)

Depends on the amount you take as rent :)

https://www.gov.uk/rent-room-in-your-home/the-rent-a-room-scheme

Man of Honour
I didn't know the threshold had gone up, cheers.

If my mrs is paying me per month to live in my house (I own, she's moving in), I don't have to put that as rent do I? Since it's a fee to contribute to bills etc.

Caporegime
I didn't know the threshold had gone up, cheers.

If my mrs is paying me per month to live in my house (I own, she's moving in), I don't have to put that as rent do I? Since it's a fee to contribute to bills etc.
There's specific criteria for rent a room relief to apply, but I forget what off the top of my head. Best google it to be sure. Or just read the page linked above, actually.

Caporegime
"although the rent is £1.5k per month, we actually pay almost nothing for rent"

£1.5K x 12 = £18K. So he is well over the threshold of £7,500 of HMRC.

was hoping you helpful lot can give me some advice with this and what my options may be.

I've saved up £15k from last year, and this year hope to be able to get another £15k or so by Christmas giving me £30k. I can borrow from family, though only small, they could increase my deposit to around £38k to £42k.

my partner doesn't have so much, but by christmas we'd hope she can input just under £10k herself.

we currently rent a 3 bed house but were allowed to have other friends live with us, so although the rent is £1.5k per month, we actually pay almost nothing for rent, then just pay the bills between us.

This got us thinking that if we were to be able to buy a house similar to what we rent, we'd actually be making a profit as say it was the exact house we are in now, we'd have a reception room that's unused and another persons input, plus we'd not have agency fees, landlords profit etc that we're paying now by renting.

so we thought to see what our options are with regards to buying a mortgage. i've spoke to 2 big banks over the phone now, and neither offer a mortgage where you are allowed to rent bedrooms out so we'd have to do it unofficially, and unfortunately it wouldn't be taken into account with the options as to how large of a house we can buy.

at the moment, i've gone through the online calculators, and between us, we're only being offered a mortgage of £290k, which is enough for a flat/tiny house. no good for us as ideally we're hoping for a 3 bed place, or at least a 2 bed with a reception room maybe that could be rented out for a year or so.

anyone know what our options are? are we likely to ever find an option that would suit us like this?

You want to use rental income in your assessment to get a bigger mortgage. Well you should already be declaring the current rental income as extra income so you should have no issues then when it comes to adding it into your mortgage application as it will be on your SA for the past few years, etc.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
There are cheap and expensive places in Surrey just like everywhere else. But around near me a 3 bed semi would be about £700k :(

Associate

Interesting question. What happens if two people live together to pay a mortgage but only one of their names is on the mortgage paperwork? Does that count as undeclared income?

Caporegime
Interesting question. What happens if two people live together to pay a mortgage but only one of their names is on the mortgage paperwork? Does that count as undeclared income?

it depends on what happens when the house is sold. are they married? do they get a share of it or not, etc.

if they get nothing then yes it's undeclared income. if they get their fair share then no.

Soldato
OP

any idea if this is doubled when the house is shared between 2 people? surely if i get £7.5k per year, she will too? i wonder how this would then work as everyone pays the rent into a house account (in my name only), which is straight away paid to rent, bills etc.

My only advice would be a prenup when you're putting down up to 3x as much as your partner for the deposit alone.

thanks for the advice, but she's already suggested this. she must be planning on leaving me some time before the mortgage is paid :p

Soldato
OP
"although the rent is £1.5k per month, we actually pay almost nothing for rent"

£1.5K x 12 = £18K. So he is well over the threshold of £7,500 of HMRC.

we gon't get £18k given to us in rent. it's less, but then between us 2, we pay what i consider to be almost nothing for what we have.

You want to use rental income in your assessment to get a bigger mortgage. Well you should already be declaring the current rental income as extra income so you should have no issues then when it comes to adding it into your mortgage application as it will be on your SA for the past few years, etc.

essentially yes, however we're yet to have a SA as it's not been that long that we've been in this property. a few months. it's also surely impossible to declare an income for a house we've not yet bought and figured out what we can rent out and charge

Last edited:
Soldato
Do not invest in real estate in your area. The bubble will burst sooner or later n it will catch you with your pants down. Keep saving and make the purchase in another area or after the bubble bursts.

TJM

TJM

Associate
I think your only option is to move, if you can't find the size house you want at your budget.
Yup.

OP, there is no way that a bank will issue you with a mortgage that could only be paid if you had income from rent. What if a tenant fell into arrears and it took months to evict them? Your income would nosedive and you'd start missing full payments. Banks don't need the hassle.

Back
Top Bottom