• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Undervolting 11700K

Soldato
Hey,

I'm looking to undervolt my 11700k.

Now I've gone all the way to -0.065V, and it seems stable in Cinebench and within Windows, and I can see from within CpuZ that the voltage drawn by the CPU has indeed decreased when doing both multicore and single core runs within Cinebench compared to what it was doing at stock BIOS settings.

Although one thing I noticed is that even though it draws less volts, it never really goes above 4.6 GHz during a multicore bench run or above 4.9 GHz in a single core bench run.

I'm not looking to overclock; I just would have thought it would hit 5 GHz now that it's drawing less power, but that doesn't seem to be the case.I'm a noob with Undervolting. Any hints? lol

Much appreciated.

Soldato
Hey,

I'm looking to undervolt my 11700k.

Now I've gone all the way to -0.065V, and it seems stable in Cinebench and within Windows, and I can see from within CpuZ that the voltage drawn by the CPU has indeed decreased when doing both multicore and single core runs within Cinebench compared to what it was doing at stock BIOS settings.

Although one thing I noticed is that even though it draws less volts, it never really goes above 4.6 GHz during a multicore bench run or above 4.9 GHz in a single core bench run.

I'm not looking to overclock; I just would have thought it would hit 5 GHz now that it's drawing less power, but that doesn't seem to be the case.I'm a noob with Undervolting. Any hints? lol

Much appreciated.

looking here https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...1700k-processor-16m-cache-up-to-5-00-ghz.html

These are the max standard single core boost speeds

• Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 Frequency ‡ 5.00 GHz
  • Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 Frequency‡ 4.90 GHz

So I'm guessing max all core boost of 4.6ghz is about right unless you overclock? I'm no 100% sure though.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
So I'm guessing max all core boost of 4.6ghz is about right unless you overclock? I'm no 100% sure though.
Yes, the all-core turbo is 4.6 and single core is 4.9. Intel's website says you can check TB3 with XTU, but I don't have a CPU with TB3 so I can't say where/how.

Soldato
100mhz is margin of error. I wouldn’t risk introducing stability issues to gain performance that you’re unlikely to ever notice.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies guys,obviously 4.9Ghz is plenty i was just curious, Il play around with the Undervolting more to see how lower i can get it and then do a lot of testing in games etc to see if its fully stable.

Hopefully will help out during summer if we get those silly heat waves. :D

Soldato
Thanks for the replies guys,obviously 4.9Ghz is plenty i was just curious, Il play around with the Undervolting more to see how lower i can get it and then do a lot of testing in games etc to see if its fully stable.

Hopefully will help out during summer if we get those silly heat waves. :D

I appreciate my system is gen13/z790 so YMMV, but I found very little difference undervolting beyond 0.06 negative offset... although it was stable up to about -0.1.

That's with everything else at stock speed though, aside from XMP enabled, so you might get way with a small CPU overclock on top of the under-volt @0.06

I've just left my clockspeed@ stock speed though because I can't really be bothered fine tuning it any further!

If it's of any help, or interest, here's what I did: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/asus-z790-cpu-undervolt-help.18973964/

Soldato
OP
Cheers bud,turns out -0.070v was not stable so dialed it back a tad to -0.0.65v and will further test that.

i can imagine i could do a bit of overclocking but like you i cant be faffed with the extra intensive testing etc,least with undervolting its much simpler.

Soldato

You want it to go faster with less juice?

If you undervolt and it lowers temps it can go faster. But only if it has enough volts in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom