• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Undervolting GPU should be standard procedure

Soldato
Don't just copy other people's settings, as every card will be a little different due to silicon lottery factors. Nvidia cards operate in frequency steps of 15MHz, and even one of those can be the difference in stability. My 3070 Ti was slightly unstable at the 1905MHz mark at 887mV, but rock solid at the next step down of 1890MHz. Your best bet is to start lower at, say, 1850MHz and work your way up. You don't even have to do it all at once. Set it to 1850MHz, game for a few days and if you don't get any crashes, go back in and bump it to 1865MHz and repeat. You already know 1905MHz isn't stable, so it shouldn't be a long process. Alternatively, you can go a bit higher on the voltage. Something ~950mV will get you well north of 1900MHz and closer to 2000MHz, at the cost of power draw of course.

Ah OK thanks for that. Just as I was reading your post my Heaven Benchmark was completing. Score of 5284 at 893mV / 1905MHz. There were a few points where it crashed, screens flickered, then resumed.

Will keep fiddling but I think I have some problems stacked here. Would really like to reduce power draw.

Edit: I have removed my results due to faulty DP cable affecting things.

Last edited:
Soldato
for me I wanted it to be around the 1905mhz mark for me its the sweet spot for performance while slightly being above stock performance and I just kept adding mV in steps to find stability at 1905

Last edited:
Soldato
for me I wanted it to be around the 1905mhz mark for me its the sweet spot for performance while slightly being above stock performance and I just kept adding mV in steps to find stability at 1905

I've just done that and edited my previous post. Will add Neon Noir results and Afterburner settings here shortly.

Soldato
i've gone with 1905mhz at 887mv. It's been stable in Quakr2 RTX, Cyberpunk, MSF2020 and Port Royale, so i reckon it's fine.

1920 needed 906 but the performance improvements are negligible outside of benchmarks. havent bothered touching the ram speed, dont see much point using more power again for marginal gains.

Soldato
i've gone with 1905mhz at 887mv. It's been stable in Quakr2 RTX, Cyberpunk, MSF2020 and Port Royale, so i reckon it's fine.

1920 needed 906 but the performance improvements are negligible outside of benchmarks. havent bothered touching the ram speed, dont see much point using more power again for marginal gains.

Do you run dual displays? If so have you noticed second display flickering?

Soldato
My 3080 FE must be a dud then, or something is up with my PC. :confused:
Ok I've spent just 15mins at this. No confidence but this is what I see.

If I leave every at stock my FE boosts to 1890 then quickly drops to 1830. I'm hitting the power limit the entire time.

I've simply changed the voltage curve by +150 for all points at 900mv< and then flattened the curve for all values beyond. 900mv @ 1905.

I immediately now see boosts to 1905, I don't hit the power limit and the card is 5c cooler.

My test has only been Port Royal for a single run.

Obviously this is just dipping my toe into underclocking. But my card might have some scope for underclocking perhap?

Need to play with longer tests of course.

Last edited:
Soldato
what is the suitable test between voltage tweaks. Couple of rounds of Port Royal? 20min run? Or just game?

There needs to be an automatic tool for this, like the OC scanner in reverse. Ridiculous that card cant work out itself that if it drops the volts it'll boost further and stay cooler.

Soldato
agreed so worth while in the long run, I so far been testing on 3080FE 893mv @1905 ingame it jumps to around 1920-1935 and its beating stock performance easily while lowering temps/power/ fan I also noticed nvidia set very relaxed fan curve they almost want the card to reach 75c before it really kicks in and for me just setting it aggressively to where the noise level is fine and highest I can go before the noise bothers me which is around 53%
It shouldn't jump higher if you flatten the curve at your max voltage right?

Soldato
The voltage will drop by a point (so 15mhz) when the gpu gets to a certain temperature, but Afterburner does sometimes get confused about profiles a little, so it's worth taking a look at it every week or so to see that it's still where you left it. Save your profile once it's set. One thing to be aware of is that because of the one point drop when the gpu is up to temp, dont try and set and save your profile when the gpu is hot otherwise the profile will not be the same when you boot the machine from cold. make sure you make changes to your curve when the gpu is cool.

Soldato
Got my 3080 Ti stable at 900mv with a clock of 1905, Cuts over 80 watts off the total usage, Lowers temps and only lowers performance by maybe 1-2%, Very much worth it IMO.

Soldato
Got my 3080 Ti stable at 900mv with a clock of 1905, Cuts over 80 watts off the total usage, Lowers temps and only lowers performance by maybe 1-2%, Very much worth it IMO.
Do you just look at the watts in afterburner or though some other way? Watt meter etc.

Afterburner only showed me 30watts saving with 900,mv at 1905

I did a quick test with that as a first attempt. I gained performance as it wouldn't normally boost that far lol

Soldato
Do you just look at the watts in afterburner or though some other way? Watt meter etc.

Afterburner only showed me 30watts saving with 900,mv at 1905

I did a quick test with that as a first attempt. I gained performance as it wouldn't normally boost that far lol

I use a mix, Nvidia's OSD, Afterburner and Hwinfo, All seem to line up with the 80 watt reduction, also the little wattage readout on the side of my Asus PSU :p

Soldato
That's a posh PSU lol.

Will take a look at the other tools readouts.

It is but I had multiple bad experiences with Corsair PSU's sounding like a bag of crickets so thought I'd invest in a good PSU, Got recommended the Thor by a friend and seeing how it's based on Seasonics Ultra Prime Platinum line up but with more stuff added in I thought I'd take the plunge :)

Associate
was confusing me also If I restart and select the saved profile it can be set to 1920 even if i saved the profile at 1905 doesnt seem to effect stability

That's normal - Ampere will always *try* to run at higher clocks irrespective of the curve you've defined in Afterburner - if however it hits a hard limit (typically max power draw of the card when undervolting) it'll dial back to a stable frequency. A good way to monitor this is in GPU-Z - under 'Sensors' look at 'PerfCap Reason' - it'll show 'PWR' when hitting power contraints.

Soldato
1905Mhz @ 887mV on my RT3080 Ti FE.
Very little performance loss if any.
Need to upgrade my CPU though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom