Unifi AP not working with Powerline adapter

Soldato
I have built a log cabin in the garden and used my Devolo power-line adapters to get the LAN extended without any issues. However, when I move my Unifi AP from the house to the cabin, using the Devolo PLA, any devices which connect to it don't get internet access and the AP shows disconnected on the Unifi portal. If I return the AP to the house, it works perfectly.

I've tried setting a static IP on the AP and configuring manual DNS but had no luck.

Any ideas?

It sounds like your powerline adaptors aren't syncing. Use Devolo cockpit and see if they are connecting and what speeds they are getting.

You can confirm this by plugging a laptop into the ethernet port in your cabin to confirm there is no data going over them.

Hindsight: Should have run some data along with your power.

It sounds like your powerline adaptors aren't syncing. Use Devolo cockpit and see if they are connecting and what speeds they are getting.

You can confirm this by plugging a laptop into the ethernet port in your cabin to confirm there is no data going over them.

Hindsight: Should have run some data along with your power.

The laptop works fine over the adapters but it's a good shout about checking Devolo Cockpit.

I never intended running Ethernet cable because getting it from the house to the cabin would be a logistical nightmare.

Are you using the exact same cabling and PoE injector when you're connecting the AP in the house?

It's not a DHCP issue, the AP is transparent as far as DHCP is concerned so if DHCP works when your laptop is connect to the Homeplug by ethernet then DHCP is fine.

Are you using the exact same cabling and PoE injector when you're connecting the AP in the house?

It's not a DHCP issue, the AP is transparent as far as DHCP is concerned so if DHCP works when your laptop is connect to the Homeplug by ethernet then DHCP is fine.

I've used the same cables and others. I had a similar issue when I plugged it into a cheap BT router where WiFi was available but no internet access.

I've currently got my new TV wired into the PLA and it's working great.

Do you have a spare switch you could connect between the adapter and the AP? It shouldn't make and difference, but it might.

Yeah I've tried that and it's still not working :(

The logistics of running the Ethernet cable would require either digging up 11 meters or paving or running a cable into the cellar round the house, behind the kitchen units, then through the wall. Once that's done I have to dig 16 meters of dirt, pull up 3 more paying slabs.

However, I've just sold the Unifi and bought a Devolo WiFi powerline adapter which solves the issue :)

Back
Top Bottom