Unifi Dream Machine Pro - internet speeds suck and blow

Soldato
Hi,
started at a new company and immediately noticed internet speeds suck.
We have a symmetrical 1gb VM connection.
speed test from UDMP reports back at approx 870mbps each way.
However when i plug my laptop into ANY other port on the UDM and do a speed test i get approx 250mbit down / 550mbps up. When testing from across the horizontal cabling (via other USWs) then it drops to around 200mbit down / 500mbps up.
The switch network is certainly not ideal, but my best test is directly from the UDPM, so nothing in the way to slow it down.
Now, trawling through google this seems a common issue. Some fix it, some don't regardless of the suggestions from others.
Smart Queues is NOT enabled. IDS/IPS is not ENABLED.
WAN connection is only gigabit anyway, but i'd like to get nearer the mark than our our current speeds for sure.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi and thanks for the replies.
So yes, I found out today that the backplane is only 1Gb shared between all ports which is bizarre to me. So why would it have 12 ports 8+4?
So aside from a cat5e cable linking the VM 1Gb fibre router to port9 on the UDMP, there is a netgear running pfsense connecting the UDMP to a TP-Link switch that is really acting as the core switch. This then has links to 6 USWs which all the endpoints are connected into across the site. All connected via cat5e. NOTHING is patched via fibre cable.
So…..ideally I ought to connect the VM router to the UDMP via fibre cable once I’ve got some SFPs and also the core switches.

I did notice that the UDMP is acting as DHCP and DNS server, yet we have on-prem DC. Not sure why it was setup like that. Can’t imagine it serving faster than a DC. There is a lot of sluggishness on the network, but lan speed read/write tests to a server share aren’t that bad.

UDM Pro with 1gb internet works fine for me with full speed at all pcs.

Though i'm UDM Pro to 10gb agg switch via 10gb fiber to machines via 10gb fiber.
lol,well there ya go….huge difference.
I need to redesign the topology, starting with finding some SFPs cos all I can see is cat5e and RJ45.
I’m still a bit confused, I assumed the UDMP would act as controller and agg switch, utilising each of the 8 lan ports to connect to another switch, but if they share a 1Gb backplane, that is quite frankly kerrraappp! Would have expected at least 1000FDx each port.we do have vers3 ( I think) so if I’m reading right, all 8 ports would share 2.5gb, that’s still rubbish.

Back
Top Bottom