Uninstaller software - yes or no?

Associate
Hi All,

Just wondering if you use any kind of installer/uninstaller software?

I have now started using winget to install / uninstall most things, but there are certain software that can't be found via winget, so I have to download and install those manually.

In the past I have used Revo Uninstaller which tracks what the installer has done and removes leftover traces when uninstalling etc.

Do you think it's necessary or advisable to use such a tool for manual installers?

If so, what do you use? Can you recommend a lightweight and modern tool which is not 'snake oil' ?

Thanks,
X20

Only time I've ever had to use Revo etc is to tidy up left entries when the usual uninstall doesn't work for whatever reason.

In my experience, default uninstallers almost never remove all of the associated folders and registry items, but it sounds like most people don't mind that. I just find it annoying to have leftovers from things I've uninstalled.

My take is if things have gone wrong enough to be considering this then I may as well do a clean windows install.

My thinking was that if you could use a tool to monitor the installation changes, then when you click uninstall you'd be back to the same scenario before you installed it. No traces. Surely that would be a good thing?

Maybe it's just OCD, and I should care less :p

Back
Top Bottom