**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
The amount of tyre requests/questions we get on here I thought I would put together an unofficial tyre thread to reduce the amount of new threads that arise.

So I'm after 2 new front tyres in 225/40/18, and I want Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 - (225/40 R18 92Y XL). Cheapest I have found so far is Camskill and Lovetyres @ £210.98 delivered. Can anyone find a cheaper price?

Soldato
OP
Its simple buy what will fit your car in this order for a road car thats driven in a sporty manner with maybe the odd trackday:-

1. Michelin SuperSport
2. Goodyear Eage F1 Asymmetric 2 / ContiSport 5
3. Pirelli Pzero / Bridgestone RE050A

If its just a road car driven around town, aim for best braking tyres so:-
1. Conti CS3 / CS5
2. Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2
3. Michelin SuportSport

If your driving like a hoon everywhere and doing a lot of track work but its also your road car:-

1. Yokohama AD08's
2. Michelin SuperSports
3. R888's

Thread over. ;)

That's a very good guide! But I was more after trying to have someone beat the price I found :D

Soldato
OP
Well I ordered the Continental ContiSportContact 5

Worked out £10 cheaper for 2 tyres than the Goodyear F1A2's. Hoping for massive improvements on the Falken FK452's they are replacing, and I will also be getting hunter alignment done at the same time.

Should transform the car hopefully!

Soldato
OP
Goodyear Efficient Grip £521.44
Toyo Proxes T1-R £426.00
Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 £464.48
Continental Sports Contact 5 £521.84
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A £548.96
Uniroyal Rainsport 2 £487.20
Pirelli P Zero Nero £510.40

I assume these are fitted prices? And where are you getting these prices from?

For comparison I have 225/40/18 and I could get a full set of Conti SC5's for £408 delivered to my door and then £10 a corner fitting = £448.

Soldato
OP
I don't want to take a days holiday to wait for tyres, the equivalent lost in wages will outweighs any savings.

And having 4 tyres delivered to a law firm is not going to happen...then roll all a mile through Birmingham to the train station is not going to be fun.

I'm getting mine delivered to my house, and I'm at work today. Simply go home ring the number on the failed delivery card and go pick them up...

Will save you a fair few £££

Soldato
OP
£392? Are you looking at the right tyre? I got £446 delivered.

I want to get the alignment done as I've never had it done on the car and last year I hit a pot hole which required a fix on the alloy.

I was looking at 215/45/17. Which are cheaper, you must have a low production tyre size in 205/45/17...

Also alignment check should be free unless there is any work to be done. And then it should be no more than about £10-15 per wheel adjusted...

Soldato
OP
Okay...this is how it is.

£446.36 delivered from Camskill + fitting
£521.84 fitted from Blackcircle fitted
£520 fitted from another place near me (so I am basically paying him £15 per tyre to be fitted)

Parents are 20 miles away.
Sister is 60 miles away, she works.
Neighbours work.
No safe place to leave outside the house.

If I can get them fitted at £10 a tyre, I am only saving £20. That is before the time and petrol I would need to spend to pick them up.

Spend £20 I can just drive to the garage and have them fitted.

Again your maths is failing me.

Camskill price = £446.36 + £10 fitting per corner = £486.36

Local Garage = £520 fitted

Savings made = £33.64

Also the time and petrol thing. Just pick the tyres up on the way to the garage that is fitting them. Then you can't view it as that much of an extra journey...

Soldato
OP
ok..£33 saving. You win lol That on the prioviso that I can find a place to fit them at £10 a corner.

As for pick the tyre up on the way to the garage...

I can walk to the garage in question in 10 mins.

You can walk to it, but how would they fit your tyres :p

Why not ask the garage if they can match your delivered price from camskill? If not, then ask if you can have the tyres delivered to their garage...

Soldato
OP
That's what i've read also, supposed to be a decent tyre. I believe that Gibbo has posted about them several times and has quite a high opinion of them.

I've had V12 evo's on my ST, and they were not the worst tyre I've had in the world, but they definitely are not best.

They are very much middle ground, and would probably be a good buy for your average hatchback/family car. Certainly won't be putting them on my ST again...

Soldato
OP
Had the Conti 5's fitted on Friday and had hunter aligment done as well. All I can say is I should have done this a long time ago.

Never again will I fit sub standard tyres to the car. The Falken's were abysmal, it has been raining constantly since I had the Conti's fitted and they have more grip in the wet than the Falken's had in the dry.

Looking forward to seeing what they offer in the dry :). I think they will let me push the car further than I would probably let myself!

Back
Top Bottom