**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
The Eagle F1A3 seems like a decent bet in the size I need not too expensive per corner either.

I had an ask in Kwik Fit yesterday when I was having two new tyres fitted to my A3 and he said he wouldn't recommend putting none runflats on a BMW as the suspension won't be set up for the weaker sidewalls. Is this nonsense?

Soldato
Bit the bullet and decided on Crossclimate+ for the front of my Mondeo. See how they go, the ContiSport Contact 5 managed around 24k but i found them a bit slippy in the wet.

Associate
The Eagle F1A3 seems like a decent bet in the size I need not too expensive per corner either.

I had an ask in Kwik Fit yesterday when I was having two new tyres fitted to my A3 and he said he wouldn't recommend putting none runflats on a BMW as the suspension won't be set up for the weaker sidewalls. Is this nonsense?

Sounds like nonsense to me. From my experience all swapping to normal tyres does is drastically improve the ride comfort and reduce effects such as tramlining. The hard sidewalls make runflats very uncompliant!

Soldato
Seems there is some weird shortage of as3 just now, going to get shot of the horridly average things that were put on the front of the Focus for winter but can't seem to find any as3 on the usual "with fitting" sites.

Might just need to order from camskill or the likes and have them fitted, which is fine but prefer to have it all included in one

Also need some new rears for the fiesta, currently has hankook evo's or k125(can't remember specifocally which) all round - tempted to just stick with them as they've been perfectly good so far and wear well.

Soldato
Has anyone had any experience of having different sized tyres front and rear on a fairly normal car?

I've currently got 205/40/17 all around, however looking for something stickier is leading me to 215/40/17 AD08R's for the front. I drive pretty spiritedly and do a couple of track days a year, so thought it could be beneficial as there isn't really anything similar in 205/40/17.

Any thoughts?

Man of Honour
Has anyone had any experience of having different sized tyres front and rear on a fairly normal car?

I've currently got 205/40/17 all around, however looking for something stickier is leading me to 215/40/17 AD08R's for the front. I drive pretty spiritedly and do a couple of track days a year, so thought it could be beneficial as there isn't really anything similar in 205/40/17.

Any thoughts?

Staggered sizes with wider fronts is definitely not something most people would recommend

Soldato
So it's either
205/40 NS-2R's
205/40 Goodyear F1A3's
215/40 AD08R's

The annoying thing with the F1A3's is that it's not very playful and almost always understeers when pushed, you have to really throw it to get the rear end to move at all.

Soldato
I did today, couple I would usually use can't get them for weeks in the size - weird

What size?

I've ordered 'the last two' 225/40/18 from whoever a local tyre fitter orders from. £107 each fitted right enough.

Was going to use my usual place which seemed better than the typical back street place but I've sat for literally hours waiting for tyres to be fitted which does my head in and they weren't listed on Blackcircles.

Will take it in and tell them not to buzz up the locking wheel nuts or even leave them off since I'll be driving home to swap front to back and fit drop links/track rod ends. Don't think they'll fancy doing that.

Anyway, reason I commented.

Best place locally for getting 4 wheel alignment? I've only ever had tracking done and have had to have it readjusted as the steering wheel isn't as straight as I'd like it.

Soldato
What size?

I've ordered 'the last two' 225/40/18 from whoever a local tyre fitter orders from. £107 each fitted right enough.

Was going to use my usual place which seemed better than the typical back street place but I've sat for literally hours waiting for tyres to be fitted which does my head in and they weren't listed on Blackcircles.

Anyway, reason I commented.

Best place locally for getting 4 wheel alignment? I've only ever had tracking done and have had to have it readjusted as the steering wheel isn't as straight as I'd like it.

235 40 18 - have found some now though

For alignment I'd go to Automek - plenty of other places that will do it though, a lot of the tyre fitters now have hunter or equivalent machines I'd all you want is it checked / set up as per a standard for the car

Soldato
That must be a less common sizes I guess.

I'll check out Automek, may be a bit much for a mk5 Astra!

Got my F1AS3 fitted.

The one wheel the guy fitted he did buzz the nuts on. Glad I didn't break the £25 key I had to buy last week after mine was stolen.

Still have a slight clunk after doing the drop links and track rod ends, I think I'll replace the spring clip from the caliper I've had missing for ages.

Soldato
Think it depends on your priority really. The sport contact 5 is older than the other two so I would disregard it almost solely on price

The pilot sport 4s is likely going to be the best tyre, but just depends how much you value what it gives you over the as3. Both are good tyres. Goodyear has a reputation for having a softer sidewall if that's particularly important for you

Back
Top Bottom