**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Caporegime
The Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance's I had lasted ages on the Skoda. When I bought the car they had 5MM or so on them, I drove 20,000 miles and sold it still with usable tread.

Man of Honour
Thanks, need to decide if they’re worth the extra though.

For a Mercedes CLK350,

£375.70 for Goodyear F1 AS3
+£20.38 per tyre for Conti SportContact 5s
+£39.55 per tyre for Michelin Pilot Sport 4s

:o

The CS5 is simply a poorer tyre - which is fair enough as its much older and has been replaced in most sizes by the CS6.

The PS4 is probably slightly better in some areas but IMHO probably isn't worth such a price premium.

Soldato
Just though I'd pop a message in to say I've been really happy with my F1AS3's

When I purchased my Celica 2 (maybe 3?) years ago or so, it had Chinese specials all round. The car tried to kill me 3 times in as many months whilst driving... enthusiastically around roundabouts. The back end would fly wildly out with no warning when playing around with the limit of grip. Not really what I expected from a FWD car, and not entirely sure what your meant to do in that situation lol. Was a bit of a shock as I was expecting nothing but understeer, but none the less me and the car survived until I have some F1AS3 put on all round. Since then, the car has been predictably dull in the way I would expect a FWD car to be, and it hasn't tried to kill me once, so that's all good.

Soldato
My old Almera used to step out all the time(Toyo T1r) so I knew how to deal with it when my Astra did it in the first week of having it.

Kumho something or other on the rear, last turn before hitting Tarbet on the A82. **** my pants as I wasn't doing anything dramatic.

Since fitting AS2 and then AS3 I've never had the back end step out no matter how hard I've tried.

Permabanned
E90 325i

looking to replace the rears, have been looking at
goodyear efficent grip, get excellent reviews and excellent grip in the wet.
other tyres in that price range pirelli cinturato p7, uniroyal rainsport 3, conti sport 5 MO,

which are the best ?

Associate
E90 325i

looking to replace the rears, have been looking at
goodyear efficent grip, get excellent reviews and excellent grip in the wet.
other tyres in that price range pirelli cinturato p7, uniroyal rainsport 3, conti sport 5 MO,

which are the best ?

The conti sport contact 5s are in a different class to the others, being a high performance tyre whereas the others are eco/mid range.

Caporegime
Conti's are well known to wear quickly though. A trade off of the soft compound. Even the less performance oriented Premium Contacts I had wore incredibly quickly in comparison to others.

Caporegime
I trust everyone who has a loose rear end (Oh Matron!)was checking tyre pressures weren't through the roof before blaming the tyre itself? A friend had a loose back end for about two weeks after getting his rear pads and discs done and was considering new tyres. Told him to check the pressures as there was plenty of tread left. Turns out the fitters he used put 40PSI into both rears and they weren't staying flat on the road. His contact patch was likely the size of a credit card instead of the whole tyre. Let them both down to 32PSI and he not only said the car was actually riding better but the handling was much more stable too.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
I recently picked up an E63 630i which is currently fitted with RFTs all-round. The fronts currently have about 6mm left on them but the rears only 3mm. The rears seem to be wearing out very quickly and I expect they will need replacing in a month or so which takes us into the start of the cold/wet months.

I'd like to switch over to non-RFTs but with 6mm still remaining on the fronts I'm not sure it's wise to replace all 4 yet but I am struggling to find decent RFT replacements for the rear which are good in the wet (my priority).

Fronts are: 245/40R19 Y 94
Rears are: 275/35R19 Y 96

Any suggestions?

Associate
Getting 4 Continental Premium Contact 6 fitted tomorrow (235 45 R17 Y XL) on my Mondeo Estate 2.5T. Currently have Pilot Sport 4's (which I can't fault at all!) on the front and Eagle F1's on the back.

Will be interesting to see how the new tyres compare.

Soldato
I'm sure they'll be fine but why have you went down a notch in terms of performance tyre (or have conti done something stupid with naming convention)?

Soldato
ATS Euromaster doing free fitting on Michelin tyres at the moment, for anyone looking for PS4s. £206 fitted for two new fronts on my Leon FR, seems the cheapest price by far that I can find.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom