**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Really? I don't think I've ever seen a specific pressure for higher speeds - only for higher load.
I always add a few more PSI if I'm going on an autobahn jaunt. Car is usually loaded up as well, but I do it when it's empty too. Not sure where I remember reading it, but I've done it for years.

Associate
Been an expensive month.

2 x Pilot sport 4 on the Mx5
4 x Goodyear Eagle AS3's on the Mrs fiesta.

Impressed with both. The Goodyear's more so as they replaced hankook evo2's. Even though they seem to compare similarly in reviews, there's a massive difference, especially in wet grip and road noise in favour of the goodyears.

Soldato
Impressed with both. The Goodyear's more so as they replaced hankook evo2's. Even though they seem to compare similarly in reviews, there's a massive difference, especially in wet grip and road noise in favour of the goodyears.

That's good news for me since I'm having 2 x Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres fitted today which are replacing the Hankook Ventus S1 Evo2 K117s (longest name ever?), although I can't say that the Hankooks have ever given me cause for concern in the wet.

Soldato
My car (Mondeo) currently has 19" wheels with 235/40 R19 tyres on and I know two of them are on 3-4mm so will need replacing soon.

However, I mostly do motorway driving and I find the ride is a little, let's say, unforgiving with just about any imperfection on the roads, so I was considering switching to smaller wheels. If I bothered I'd get proper Ford alloys but I'm unsure of whether to look at 17" or 18" wheels. It seems my car had the following options:

215/55 R16
235/45 R17
235/45 R18

I don't mind buying a full set of decent tyres when the time comes - a set of 4 Continentals in 235/40 R19 is ~£750 and that's fine if that's what I need to spend. However, a set of 4 Continentals in 235/45 R17 is ~£400. The wheels alone would certainly cost less than £350 so there's a cost saving there - however I'm not too fussed about the money when it comes to tyres, but I'm more curious about what would give the most comfort given that I do a lot of what is mostly motorway driving.

Also my car has TMPS sensors in the wheels so I'd need to throw another £60 or so at it to get a new set of those. I've read some things that say they need to be paired up with the car in some way though, is this actually the case? If I did bother swapping my wheels I'd rather just leave the 19s as-is for if/when I sell the car in the future.

Soldato
Whilst getting car tracked today noticed inner had worn away due to it being out, replacing the P Zero with hopefully Michelin PS4 in 205/40/17 as Camskill now show they can get them, upto 5 working days for delivery, will see if they get in touch due to not being able to source them or not.

Back
Top Bottom