**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Yeah not mad on the standard contis, they're decent enough but nothing special. On another vehicle with 16" the Falkens that replaced the contis are much better, the Dunlops get a good write up though.

Underboss
for mine, there were 3 options, 93W XL ones i choose over the slower rated ones

for my size,Black Circles beat Camskill as you get delivered and fitted prices with £10 off coupons, only worked out like £20 more over camskill

Associate
Deciding on some new tyres for Golf GTI (225/40/18)

Can grab x4 Michelin Pilot Sport 4's for about ~£340, not sure if this is s good deal tbh

Alternatively found some Uniroyal rain sport 3s for around ~£280 which also look decent.

Any suggestions? There's others ofc, but these are the ones that caught my attention.

Caporegime
Deciding on some new tyres for Golf GTI (225/40/18)

Can grab x4 Michelin Pilot Sport 4's for about ~£340, not sure if this is s good deal tbh

Alternatively found some Uniroyal rain sport 3s for around ~£280 which also look decent.

Any suggestions? There's others ofc, but these are the ones that caught my attention.

Michelins, they’ll wear much better than the rainsports.

Soldato
It's not necessarily rim size, but tyre size that affects the price.

e.g. PS4S 265/35R19 @ £324.90 / tyre :eek:
PS4S 275/35R19 @ £201.85 / tyre

More than £120 cheaper per tyre to go 10mm wider, presumably because 275 is a more popular size than 265.

Urgh currently going through this at the moment. 265/35/19 is horrendously expensive - almost the same price as 305/30/20 tyres! 265/30/19 or 275/35/19 are all much cheaper and I have no idea why.

Soldato
Go up in size to 275. Odd though as they were about the same price in December when I got 275 for rears of my M3

I was thinking about doing this. You've got a completelt standard comp pack car haven't you? Was there any rubbing or any other adverse effect at all from going 275/35/19 rather than 265/35/19?

Soldato
Just bought some Goodyear eagle F1 asymmetric 3 tyres for my ST I take it these are still half decent tyres?
I’ve been getting Hankooks or Avon’s in the past but they worked out nearly the same price as the Goodyear this time so thought I would try them.

Soldato
i love my Dunlops BluResponse on my Focus as well (205/50/17)
so good that when i first used them on my 16"'s before changing to the bigger wheels i bought them for my 17" soon as the contis needed changing, Contis wear and grip are worse than the dunlop for me

My Conti Premium Contact 2 lasted 23K miles on the fronts of my Fiesta (195/55/15). I had Dunlop Sport Bluresponse fitted, I've done 12K miles and they're at 4mm. I agree the bluresponse have been better for me over the premium contact 2, especially in the wet. Rears next, the original tyres still on there at 35K with 3.5mm tread left. I'll replace them with Dunlops though once they're done.

Soldato
I put on a full set of Michelin PS4S two weeks ago (255/35/19 front and 275/35/19 rear) so thought I'd quickly summarise my thoughts vs. the Continental Sport Contact 5P that came on the car (and were one of the two OEM options).

Firstly, on the road they were significantly quieter than the Contis, and also gave substantially more grip. Even when the rears on the car were relatively new (~7mm) the back of the car could get out of shape very easily, and as they wore down things didn't improve. With the Michelins on there the car is much more planted. I've not had the chance really to test them in the rain (aside from one pretty slow lap of the Nordschleife) so can't really comment on them in that regard.

On track they inspired confidence, even with ~1600kg of M3 leaning hard on them. I did notice that they seem fairly sensitive to having the right pressure once the tyres got hot. On one of the laps the front pressure was a little low (30~31psi) and I began to get some understeer when changing direction fast. At first I thought it was the tyres getting hot, but when I corrected the pressure (32psi) even hot they were exceptional. Considering that they are primarily a road tyre I was hugely impressed with them.

Ride comfort also seems to be improved, and there's no loss of "feeling" with them either. They are pretty communicative.

Having now had first hand experience of them I'd wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone looking for the best road tyre for their performance car.

Back
Top Bottom