**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Associate
Recently replaced the two rainsport 3s on the rear of my mr2 turbo with AD08R and the difference is massive.
The rs3 sidewalls were ridiculously soft, driving over even the smallest bump would have the car bouncing all over the place, it felt like I had balloons for rear tyres and was genuinely unstable and dangerous even at normal speeds.

I am seriously loving the super stiff sidewalls of the yokos.

Soldato
Anyone have any experience of the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GTs? Does the 'built in' rim protection actually work or will this fail in most circumstances?

Soldato
Came to order new Pilot Sport 4s in 255 35 R18 but they're no longer available through Blackcircles... could order them for delivery from somewhere else but they want more than what Blackcircles were charging with fitting. Decided to go with Goodyear F1 AS3s all round instead.

Soldato
Whats the deal with the used tyre business sellers on ebay, are they genuine? They have top tyres which have 7-7.5mm tread and no damage to the tyre for half of the price. if i brought 4 of them it would save me £600.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just had Kwik-Fit check a tyre for a slow puncture but couldn't find anything, they still tried to sell me two new front tyres though! Quoted me £480 for 2x 225/40/19 GYEF1s :eek: Erm, yeah, thanks but no thanks...

They are due soon anyway so need to start looking soon. A quick search has MyTyres fully fitted for £360. Where are people ordering their tyres from these days? I've used a load of different places in the past but prices seem to vary massively.

Soldato
Well I've checked about a dozen different sites, including those two and Tyreleader were considerably cheaper than anywhere else at £137 per tyre, free delivery to any garage you like too. They have a couple of partner garages, the cheapest of which fits for £9 per tyre. So £310 in total. A far cry from the £480 Kwik-Fit quoted!

Soldato
Recommendations for 225/50/17? I noticed Blackcircles do a buy now pay 6 months later which is handy unless they charge interest? as i'm going to be skint now for the next few months, Looking at the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance as i've used them in the past on other cars and had no fault with them.

Should probably add the Car is a commute car mostly and the odd day out, it's not a track warrior but i do let it stretch it's legs on the straights.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Recommendation please for a Focus ST diesel 235/35 R19? Is it worth spending the extra on MP4S or just get F1A3? Car is used mainly for commuting on the motorway and a bit of country lanes.

Soldato
If you don't do fun driving, I would get the Michelin PS4. It's better for everyday driving than the 4S, it's cheaper, and it's also all round slightly better than the F1A3. Both the 4 and 4S are quite a bit more hard wearing than the F1A3 also.

Edit: just been looking around and remembered that they don't do the PS4 in 19in iirc. The 4S is a brilliant tyre with so much feel, grip and is hard-wearing, but if you don't put driving dynamics at or near the top of your list of "must haves" in a tyre, get the F1A3. It's a good all rounder. If you so decide to get the PS4S Asda tyres do them for £158 fitted

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The car is a tool to get to work, use over the winter and go to the shops. I barely throw it around and anything must be better than the current budgets that are on them. All the 'interesting' driving is done in the Civic FD2.

F1A3 are £133.96 each on Asda tyres.

Back
Top Bottom