1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Discussion in 'Motors' started by rossk26, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Howard

Capodecina

How does the PS4 compare to the PS4S?

2. mrk

Man of Honour

4S is the successor to the Pilot Supersport, PS4 is available in smaller sizes and is comparable to the Supersport. the non S is a great tyre, but the 4S is obviously the better tyre and at more cost because of it. Both are better in the wet/colf than the Supersport.

3. Howard

Capodecina

The 4S isn't available in my size so I was wondering about moving away from my Conti PC6 to either the SC6 (now that they've come down in price) or the PS4 once it's time to change.

4. mrk

Man of Honour

I'd definitely opt for the 4 in that case. Much longer lasting tyre, with the grip to match.

5. Howard

Capodecina

Fair enough. It might be time to depart from Continental after all these years then!

6. mrk

Man of Honour

It's what i did after 3 sets, never looked back :p

7. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

My driving hasn't really changed and I used to get barely 10k out of the previous versions :p

8. daz

Capodecina

Just looking at swapping my fronts on my GLC43, it suffers from the 'crabbing' issue at low speed and hard lock, resulting in a skipping sensation. The fronts are nearly worn down now so thinking of changing to all 4 over to winter spec (guessing "all season" is what I need?) - anyone used Michelin Cross Climates? Other option I've found is the Pirelli Scorpion Zero AS.

9. Havana_UK

Mobster

Do you live in the southern hemisphere, because I'm not sure if you've noticed but we're well entrenched in Spring here in good old Blighty!

10. daz

Capodecina

Using 'all season' tyres is supposed to counteract the crabbing somewhat. Maybe I'll just get the Latitude Sport 3s again.

11. Havana_UK

Mobster

From what I read online recently it seems that new tyres basically only mask the crabbing issue because they are slightly more flexible, and all seasons do it better than summer tyres, but it's particularly pronounced on the GLC43 because of the asymmetric tyre sizes. Also apparently worse with the larger wheels. I just watched some videos. I would be deeply unhappy with that and wouldn't accept the car full stop to be honest! I expect it's related to issues with either the front or centre diff. We had a similar issue with my wife's Evoque and took it back to Land Rover. It was a known fault and rectified by fully flushing the Haldex system and refilling it. It's not happened again since.

12. Gaygle

Capodecina

And the PS4S/CSC6 is a cut above the F1A3 in terms of grip, feel and hardcore...ness. Goodyear now have the Eagle F1 Supersport to compete with the PS4S and CSC6.

13. xs2man

Mobster

Well, about 5k into my ownership of the AS5's, and I'm very happy with them. They feel nice and smooth for when I'm not hoofing it (which is most of the time as this 2015 Focus 1.5 TDI is for moving the kids around), but when I do hoof it, there is plenty grip available. More so than the capabilities of the car, or me really. I had PS4's on my Edition 30, and while that was obviously a different animal, on the same roads, I could carry similar sorts of speeds through the corners. So a thumbs up from me. They feel better than the AS3's I had on one of my old 330i's, so thats a nice improvement.

As for wear. After 5,000 miles (roughly), I just measured 7mm across the fronts and rears. Seems decent to me, and VERY similar wear rates to the PS4's I had on the ED30.

Basically, given the choice between these and PS4's, I would be happy with either, and would go on price at this point.

14. disfunktion

Wise Guy

Need two new tyres on my Abarth.

Currently factory fit P Zero Nero all round - worth sticking with these or going for Michelin PS4?

Price difference is negligible with the current offer on Michelins on Blackcircles.

15. kindai

Soldato

Michelins all day every day.

16. disfunktion

Wise Guy

Cheers - what I was leaning towards :) Shame the car has basically eaten the two fronts currently on the car in 18,000 miles.

17. mjt

Capodecina

Michelins will last significantly longer. But 18,000 isn't so bad considering that car is extremely chuckable?

18. AiiR

Mobster

Got a puncture in the rear drivers side on my Z4 23i. Now looking to replace all 4 run flats with normal tyres. Does anyone have any suggestions? They are 17 inch rims.

19. tamzzy

Sgarrista

The go-to is obvs the Michelin PS4. Goodyear eagle AS5 seems to be well-liked by the forumers that have them...
    Of course depends on how much you want to spend.

20. AlphaMale1

Gangster

Has anyone gone from MPSS -> MPS4S?
    Is it just me or is the MPSS a much softer tire compared to the MPS4S?