**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
That's the same cracks I have on PS4s, it's garaged most of the time so I don't think it helps much. It's annoying put me off Michelins going forward as I've also got them on a set of PS4Ss but on the inner tread blocks. Never had it with any other tyres.

Caporegime
Michelin seem to be looking to clear up the confusing difference between people talking about PS4s or PS4Ss by slightly switching the name of their upcoming new tyre to the Michelin Pilot Sport S 5 (PSS5), rather than 5 S (PS5S).

Caporegime
Michelin seem to be looking to clear up the confusing difference between people talking about PS4s or PS4Ss by slightly switching the name of their upcoming new tyre to the Michelin Pilot Sport S 5 (PSS5), rather than 5 S (PS5S).

Tyre Reviews video now out

Edit - interestingly, sounds like it may not be offered as retail but via manufacturers only - seems the PS4S is here to stay for a bit longer for most of us

Last edited:
Man of Honour
If you garage your car then I reckon you'll not see this due to shelter from winter weather.

See that a lot these days with some tyres :( I was beginning to wonder if it was due to some tyres not standing up well to the use on the increasingly heavier, higher centre of gravity of many modern cars with all the additional lateral forces, etc. in play but not sure if that would even cause that kind of stuff anyhow. Just a passing thought as I've had it on the Turanza t005s on the pickup and SUVs, know someone else with the same using them on a SUV while other people with the same model using them on saloon cars, etc. haven't had a problem with it.

Soldato
See that a lot these days with some tyres :( I was beginning to wonder if it was due to some tyres not standing up well to the use on the increasingly heavier, higher centre of gravity of many modern cars with all the additional lateral forces, etc. in play but not sure if that would even cause that kind of stuff anyhow. Just a passing thought as I've had it on the Turanza t005s on the pickup and SUVs, know someone else with the same using them on a SUV while other people with the same model using them on saloon cars, etc. haven't had a problem with it.

Even with the cracking... I will stick with Michelin and go with the Pilot Sport 5 in a couple months. I need a complete set...wallet won't be happy.

And even on a well worn set of PS4's, I feel I have good grip around corners and in the wet with spirited driving. I've been impressed with the PS4's on whole.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Tyre Reviews video now out

Edit - interestingly, sounds like it may not be offered as retail but via manufacturers only - seems the PS4S is here to stay for a bit longer for most of us
Looks as if Michelin are bringing a PS4S replacement as an aftermarket tyre, with a new name. To just confuse things more!

Soldato
Early cracking is certainly an issue on Michelin PS4's.

Mine are 3.5yrs old now and have looked cracked like this for well over a year.

uc

If you garage your car then I reckon you'll not see this due to shelter from winter weather.

The sidewall is cracking there. Different from the shoulder cracking that most people are seeing.

That looks more dangerous with a compromised sidewall, and not just surface cracks on the tread compound.

I don't think the PS4 uses a different compound on the shoulders either like the PSS and PS4S do.

Last edited:
Soldato
The sidewall is cracking there. Different from the shoulder cracking that most people are seeing.

That looks more dangerous with a compromised sidewall, and not just surface cracks on the tread compound.

I don't think the PS4 uses a different compound on the shoulders either like the PSS and PS4S do.
Yes it probably is more dangerous... but then all tyres degrade over time and I don't believe the cracks on my tyre are alarming. They'll be changed out soon anyhow.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can anybody recommend a rear tyre for my Merc ?

The front had a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 5's on at XMAS.

The rear size is

255/35/18 but i can't seem to find Pilot Sport 5's in that size.

Maybe something like Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6 ?

Or Continental Premium Contact 6 ?

Really annoyed i can't get PS5's :(

Caporegime

The rear size is

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rshop/tyre/Michelin/Pilot-Sport-5/255-35-ZR18--94Y--XL/D-126494 in stock apparently, just don’t expect them quickly. Will likely ship from Europe and take a week to ten days.

Soldato

The rear size is

Bridgestone Potenza Sport. One of the best tyres in the market.

Last edited:
Soldato

Tada

And get cashback from Michelin also
I looked on their website and when i put my Reg in it only brings up cross climates for michelin how odd.

I'll look now Thanks

Soldato
I looked on their website and when i put my Reg in it only brings up cross climates for michelin how odd.

I'll look now Thanks
No worries

Just FYI using registration numbers to find tyres is notoriously inaccurate as there are so many different types of alloys put on the same car depending on what options get specced. Always much better to just search for the size. And don't worry about specifying the load rating or speed either - both will be well in excess of what you need.

Soldato
No worries

Just FYI using registration numbers to find tyres is notoriously inaccurate as there are so many different types of alloys put on the same car depending on what options get specced. Always much better to just search for the size. And don't worry about specifying the load rating or speed either - both will be well in excess of what you need.
Thanks so much.

I may go for Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6 on the back slightly cheaper but still with brilliant reviews.

Back
Top Bottom