**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
If the forecast for snow is true then I'll be cutting it fine as I'm waiting for new alloys to arrive first.

Mind you, those MSM rags predict that a meteor will hit Earth soon so getting new tyres will be moot.

Man of Honour
been told by my step dad, snow is forecasted for about 3rd or 4th week of November
dont know if true or not though

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uk-weather-forecast-exact-date-25353947

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weat...r-forecast-cold-rain-November-2021-met-office

Models are picking up on *something* around the 16th onwards (usually when they start throwing wobbles like that there is something brewing) - but I'm not really seeing it in terms of what the actual data suggests conditions will be - no significant changes in the jet stream, cold only just starting to build in the usual places so nothing significant to draw on even if the weather setup would do so, etc.

I'm in two minds - pretty much guarantee if I stay on my Turanzas it will be 62/63 all over again, if I rush out and stick some CC2s or AT+ on as is my instincts it will turn out the mildest winter on records.

Not got to test the Turanzas yet in real snow - they hold up surprisingly well in cold, light amounts of ice and wet mud. But on light snow on a loose surface they were spinning up alarmingly easily unless I stuck it in 4H.

EDIT: Doesn't help as well I'm finding it hard to find somewhere which has both reasonable priced wheels along the style I'd like and the tyres I want in one package.

Soldato
EDIT: Doesn't help as well I'm finding it hard to find somewhere which has both reasonable priced wheels along the style I'd like and the tyres I want in one package.

I gave up looking for the all-in-one package and bought my wheels from Performance Alloys but as with everything these days there's a 3 to 4 week delay. Once they arrive I'll get the mobile Kwik-Fit out to put the CC2s on. My existing rears are at 3mm right now which is when I usually replace them but I don't want to fit new tyres as the wheels will be going for a refurb early next year.

Man of Honour
I gave up looking for the all-in-one package and bought my wheels from Performance Alloys but as with everything these days there's a 3 to 4 week delay. Once they arrive I'll get the mobile Kwik-Fit out to put the CC2s on. My existing rears are at 3mm right now which is when I usually replace them but I don't want to fit new tyres as the wheels will be going for a refurb early next year.

That is the other thing - my current tyres have just under or 6mm left on them so no rush to change either.

Soldato
Soldato
Looks like I'm driving to North Germany for Chirstmas (covid restrictions permitting) so I have to put some winter or all-season tyres on the car before we go.

I was looking at the Conti WinterContacts but that video by Tyre Reviews from last year comparing winter and all-season tyres suggested that the Cross Climates outperformed the WinterContacts in all conditions except snow.

We're unlikely to have a white Christmas while we're over there — although it will be colder than here (it might drop to around -2ºC) — but it looks like the CCs would be a better winter tyre for UK conditions (especially Cornish winter conditions). So would I be stupid to go for CC 2s instead of WinterContacts?

I guess the gamble is if we did get snow while we're out there, the Conti's would be the better choice, but that's only going to be relevant for 2 weeks of the whole winter.

What would OcUK Motors do?

Man of Honour
Are you going to swap back for summer tyres at some point? If not, then Cross Climate seems like the better choice.

Personally I'll be putting the WinterContact on the car at the end of the month because I swap back in March but I've already said my bit about the logic of using all seasons as a purely winter tyre.

Soldato
Are you going to swap back for summer tyres at some point? If not, then Cross Climate seems like the better choice.

Personally I'll be putting the WinterContact on the car at the end of the month because I swap back in March but I've already said my bit about the logic of using all seasons as a purely winter tyre.

Yes, these will be going on steelies and I'll switch back to summer tyres next year.

I have just read your previous posts on the subject and I do see where you're coming from, but I can't use UHP summer tyres to go to Germany this Christmas and the CrossClimate appears to outperform the WinterContact in normal UK winter conditions.

The test I mentioned puts the WinterContact up against the CrossClimate and the CC performs better in the braking tests in all conditions down to 2ºC. The WinterContact is a second or so quicker around the test track, but that's on snow — I'm not expecting to drive on snow, even in Germany. And his reference summer tyre is a Premium Contact 6, so it's not a terrible tyre, although admittedly, it's not a Sports Contact 6 for example.

So while the CC may be a compromise in the most extreme winter conditions vs. a winter tyre, and a compromise in summer conditions vs. a summer tyre, it actually appears to outperform both in the usual winter conditions that we get in the UK (especially down here in Cornwall).

Soldato
Done around 1200 miles on my cross climate 2s and they started at 7mm, they are at either 6.5mm or 6.7mm, will have to have a closer look in the daylight/drier weather than today.

So if it's 6.5mm then I'm looking at 12,000 miles to hit 2mm right?. Or if it's 6.7mm, 20,000 miles?

I'll have a proper look when I'm next off and get a more accurate mileage, but they don't seem to be wearing very well, unless I'm missing something?

Don
Done around 1200 miles on my cross climate 2s and the fronts started at 7mm, they are at either 6.5mm or 6.7mm, will have to have a closer look in the daylight/drier weather than today.

So if it's 6.5mm then I'm looking at 12,000 miles to hit 2mm right? 240miles per the half a mm worn. Or if it's 6.7mm, 20,000 miles?

I'll have a proper look when I'm next off and ger a more accurate mileage, but they don't seem to be wearing very well, unless I'm missing something?

Compound often differs slightly through the wear range (i.e. the last few mm tends to be slightly harder wearing), wear rate will also vary slightly due to the change in circumference (i.e. as the tyre wears the circumference decreases = more revolutions to cover same distance)

Soldato
Compound often differs slightly through the wear range (i.e. the last few mm tends to be slightly harder wearing), wear rate will also vary slightly due to the change in circumference (i.e. as the tyre wears the circumference decreases = more revolutions to cover same distance)

Cheers! I wonder if also if it wears substantially more in warmer weather, I had them fitted mid October, then we had a fair few warm/hot days, Perhaps wear will also decrease as temperatures decrease over winter?

Associate
Well I got my Goodyear asymtric 5 fitted to the fronts and I'm getting whirring noises, you know like you get on cupped budget summer tyre treads that flange.

Not sure what to do about this, will F1 autocentre swap them for another pair? What's the norm here in this situation?

The pirelli p7 rft they replaced were far better than this. But had advisories for inside edges wearing.

Hmm disappointed after spending this much.

Soldato
Well I got my Goodyear asymtric 5 fitted to the fronts and I'm getting whirring noises, you know like you get on cupped budget summer tyre treads that flange.

Not sure what to do about this, will F1 autocentre swap them for another pair? What's the norm here in this situation?

The pirelli p7 rft they replaced were far better than this. But had advisories for inside edges wearing.

Hmm disappointed after spending this much.

Mine make some noise on certain road surfaces. I doubt anyone would replace them for another pair to be honest.

Associate
Mine make some noise on certain road surfaces. I doubt anyone would replace them for another pair to be honest.
Yeah that's my experience too, ok on baby smooth tarmac, anything else whining/droning in the cabin.

@pallys check that they've put them on the right direction!
Seem to be mounted ok with the 'outside' label visible.

Went back to the garage and offered to take a look but was an hour wait. Also said I would have to contact head office as bought it online so gonna send an email later as it says have to email within 48 hours if there are issues.

Looking around online reviews this seems normal for this tyre as a weak point.
I don't recommend anyone get as5 for a bmw, certainly not for touring around in. Think I made a mistake getting a UHP tyre, should have stuck to a touring range.

Back
Top Bottom