**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Man of Honour
Turanza T005s are definitely not a quiet tyre. I also find them fairly average maybe towards the top end of average for MPG despite the rating. The redeeming feature is the performance in the wet - they have an assured feel in the worst of wet conditions no other tyre I've experience of can come close to matching. In 1000s of miles of the worst possible wet conditions they've never skipped a beat.

I find when conditions are very dry as in properly dusty dry they can feel a big vague and heavy though with a touch of understeer in certain circumstances.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm really pleased with Michelin Pilot Sport 4.

Michelins currently have most of the market sown up so long as they do a tyre size for your car.

Summer PS4S or PS4
All season Cross climate 2
Winter Alpin 5 or 6

Nobody else seems to get close on performance although there is obviously a price to be paid.

Soldato
Michelins currently have most of the market sown up so long as they do a tyre size for your car.

Summer PS4S or PS4
All season Cross climate 2
Winter Alpin 5 or 6

Nobody else seems to get close on performance although there is obviously a price to be paid.

Well not quite. Bridgestone Potenza Sport gives a good account of itself agaisnt the PS4S. There's a few reviews of that tyre on Tyre Review already (https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Bridgestone/Potenza-Sport.htm). So it's not quite as clear cut as just "PS4S / PS4 for Summer". The Potenza Sport is more than capable at matching the Michelin. :) I'm not just saying that because I have them on the Mustang - I've had PS4's on the Abarth and loved them. This time though as well, price wise, the Potenza Sport was ~£153 for the fronts compared to £180 for the PS4 tyre and £201 for the rears compared to £216 for the PS4 tyre (that's fully fitted price). Saved money and got a tyre just as capable. Winning. :)

Caporegime
Well not quite. Bridgestone Potenza Sport gives a good account of itself agaisnt the PS4S. There's a few reviews of that tyre on Tyre Review already (https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Bridgestone/Potenza-Sport.htm). So it's not quite as clear cut as just "PS4S / PS4 for Summer". The Potenza Sport is more than capable at matching the Michelin. :) I'm not just saying that because I have them on the Mustang - I've had PS4's on the Abarth and loved them. This time though as well, price wise, the Potenza Sport was ~£153 for the fronts compared to £180 for the PS4 tyre and £201 for the rears compared to £216 for the PS4 tyre (that's fully fitted price). Saved money and got a tyre just as capable. Winning. :)

2 seconds slower in track time on the dry but Bridgestone much quicker and better in the wet. But yeah, Bridgestone have come out with a really really good tyre now.

Soldato
2 seconds slower in track time on the dry but Bridgestone much quicker and better in the wet. But yeah, Bridgestone have come out with a really really good tyre now.
Hehe good job I don't go on the track otherwise I'd have to retract my last comment. :D Yeah I'm pleased with them - hope you don't think I was arguing or anything, just wanted to correct that wee statement. No bashing the Michelin from me here.

Caporegime
Hehe good job I don't go on the track otherwise I'd have to retract my last comment. :D Yeah I'm pleased with them - hope you don't think I was arguing or anything, just wanted to correct that wee statement. No bashing the Michelin from me here.

No not at all and to be honest i hadnt see the reviews of the new Potenza, it is indeed a cracking tyre. I was more passing comment that if you went Michelin for any type of tyre at any time of year, you pretty much had the best tyre you could get.

Soldato
PS5 and PS5S must be due soon?

Michelin must be feeling comfortable that the likes of Bridgestone, Goodyear and Pirelli have only relatively recently caught up with the PS4S given it was released in 2017.

Man of Honour
Annoyingly all my instincts are telling me to get a set of tyres made up for winter but last few years I've just not needed them - albeit got lucky and the one day I would have needed them last year I had no reason to go out.

Probably be easier if I could just get some CC2s for my truck but I can't.

Soldato
no need, in snow (as in the video)
Summer = NO
CC2 will be a good, get me home tyre if it snows etc
Alpin = best

Of course in deep snow, like that video, is pretty obvious.

I'm more interested in the typical UK winter weather — wet, slushy, cold (-5ºC to +15ºC) but no (or very little) snow.

One of [TW]Fox's comments was that none of these types of tests uses a UHP summer tyre and one of the things that interested me most about the last
Tyre Reviews "crossover" test was how badly the dedicated winter tyre performed compared to the CrossClimates and the other All Season tyre that he used in that test, under typical UK conditions.

So now that the CC2s are out, I'd like to see the test repeated with them and a proper UHP Summer tyre like the PS4 rather than the Premium Contact 6s he used in the last test.

Man of Honour
I'm more interested in the typical UK winter weather — wet, slushy, cold (-5ºC to +15ºC) but no (or very little) snow.

Can't comment on the sports tyres but last year/earlier this year I was driving home in the early hours, roads sometimes untreated or just after they'd gritted, as low as -7C though mostly between -3C and +3C, daytime highs +10C with wet, light ice or slush or very light covering of snow. Largely no issues or any real change from normal with my Bridgestone Turanza t005s (which are summer touring tyres) on a pickup.

Only time I had any problems was unladen on a light snow covered, loose gravel, surface where the rear wheels (it is rear wheel drive in the normal 2H driving mode) would spin up - could still get going but putting some weight in the back or sticking it in 4H made the problem completely go away.

LkCEL2R.png

Man of Honour
Any recommendations for places for wheel and tyre packages? after a lot of deliberation thinking of getting a set made up with some Falken Wildpeak.

Soldato
@Rroff I gave up looking at wheel and tyre packages from the one company as it was far cheaper to get them separately. Also note that there's a bit of a delay and even availability with some wheel companies.

My new 18" alloys arrived and now waiting on Kwik-Fit to come out and fit the CC2s.

y4mVxKwCARLnq4JU9VbtmTl4nsghRWf1c73kVIizpTGByyqjSyaf7Su4szGIu6x_o7UQY4-6u4L6D5jyjNebUX4P6H8t1qwuBc_rQot33Wt13k6r_Y9U7ALuHo5R24t0Lvtn-OOFKTQUvfBwmgRVqZ2Wax8sv7QTcmBztg2JkPHUlk

I just couldn't bring myself to fit steelies!

Back
Top Bottom