**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
I need to replace all 4 on my 2012 Mazda 3 195/65 R15 95V. I had planned Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2, but MICHELIN CrossClimate 2 are only £40 more.

Worth it?

Only if you regularly face snow on your commute/drive imo. I have them and live in the Pennines, for the few days every year with settled snow they are great, they imo are better under around 3c compared to a summer tyre, you lose a lot of feel, they wander a lot.

I'm torn between putting another set of all seasons on when these are worn through. They last a long time after the initial wear in as well.

Man of Honour
Cancelled my Black Circles order, was still waiting for time slot confirmation, and with weekend approaching I couldn't be bothered to mess about on the Monday trying to sort this out.

Anyone have other recommendations for online tyre services other than Black Circles.

Im going hold off for a while longer as my tyres have only done 17.5k and they have plenty of tread still, it was just the cracking I was concerned about, but reading around I believe its nothing to be concerned about, just sunlight/heat damage.
ASDA?

Man of Honour
@CaptainRAVE

Front or rears mate. Excessive camber?

Front, pothole damage we think. Have hit a couple quite hard in the dark. Will get alignment all checked next weekend just in case. On the inside too, so didn’t spot it, service picked it up. So so lucky it didn’t go while driving.

The new rubber is so much softer. The old tyres have really hardened with age.

Wheels hardly needed any balancing. Max 15g. Alignment not as bad as we thought, but will still get checked.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's some meaty tyre and very low profile. I bet your eyes will be on stalks looking out for future potholes lol. What are the new tyres. They look like Contis'.

Are they the CSC7?

Last edited:

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Anyone here used ATS for tyre fitting? Are they any good? Want 2 AS6 for the rears and they are quoting just over £150 each which is about £20 a corner less then anywhere else.

Man of Honour
Did you manage to get any good will gesture from E Tyres?

A total refund and went elsewhere :p

Anyone here used ATS for tyre fitting? Are they any good? Want 2 AS6 for the rears and they are quoting just over £150 each which is about £20 a corner less then anywhere else.

They have discounts on alignment at the moment too.

Soldato
Tyre gurus, probably answered thid before, but I was just curious. Can you fit a tyre to your car that is stamped as oem for another manufacturer like porsche or mercedes etc? Just I was reading up on the pirelli p zero pz4 sc and could only find it under the sections for specific manufacturers. Does it make a difference?

Soldato
Tyre gurus, probably answered thid before, but I was just curious. Can you fit a tyre to your car that is stamped as oem for another manufacturer like porsche or mercedes etc? Just I was reading up on the pirelli p zero pz4 sc and could only find it under the sections for specific manufacturers. Does it make a difference?
You can but be cautious as the manufacturer specific ones can sometimes be, essentially, totally different tyres.

Caporegime
Of course, they're all the same size after all. What the Star or Merc symbol means is that the manufacturer has had some input in the design and characteristics of the tyre to suit their car. They'll work fine on any other car.

Man of Honour
Of course, they're all the same size after all. What the Star or Merc symbol means is that the manufacturer has had some input in the design and characteristics of the tyre to suit their car. They'll work fine on any other car.

Keeping in mind that many of those tyres are quite outdated in terms of tyre tech and your usually paying through the nose for them.

Caporegime
Keeping in mind that many of those tyres are quite outdated in terms of tyre tech and your usually paying through the nose for them.
I definitely noticed that when looking for tyres last month. Sometimes up to £30 extra for tyres with the BMW approved Star on them. For example Asda Tyres (other retailers are available), Conti Sport contact 5's with BMW star in 225/45/R18, £175 each. Conti Sport Contact 5's without the BMW Star, £145 per tyre.

Back
Top Bottom