**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
So two new Autogreen Smart Chaser SC1s - 215/55/R16 97W XL rated, for my 59 plate Mondeo.
I've never even heard of Autogreen. I'm guessing a budget brand probably £50ish per tyre? Personally I would have went for something like this for £88. A little more outlay but I'd say a much safer tyre.

Avon ZV 7 215/55 R16 97W XL TL

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've never even heard of Autogreen. I'm guessing a budget brand probably £50ish per tyre? Personally I would have went for something like this for £88. A little more outlay but I'd say a much safer tyre.

Avon ZX/ZV 7s are basically my minimum tyre, I have them on the Qashqai at the moment but only because I wasn't originally intending to keep it.

Associate

I had never heard of them either and yes, they are budget tyres at £56. They were recommended by National Tyres about 5 years ago iirc.
They have performed ok in my experience, in all conditions including heavy emergency braking on the Motorway and in wet. There's hardly so much I can get in terms of performance from my Mondeo.

To give a background I have spent a lot elsewhere on my car since I bought it in 2018, including all wheels refurbished, new clutch and DMF, new timing belt and water pump (did the aux belt with this). Citing all those expenses and other unmentioned ones I went with budget tyres rather than part worns. Not an excuse but it is hard for me to overspend on tyres for right or wrong reasons when Money has gone elsewhere. I do use V-Power diesel all the time to keep the engine running clean. Car is at 125,500 miles now (was 74k when new to me). Still staring at next MOT for subframe and springs. There is an undiagnosed metallic groan on acceleration under load which the garage has been unable to resolve. :(

Associate

Currently in the market for 2 new tyres as we have a puncture on a rear tyre and the other has cracks. I’m terrible with tyres but rang for some budget quotes but this post has caught my eye.

Currently on BC it’s £117 fitted per tyre for the Avon ZV is it really worth the extra over a budget £60/£70 tyre on a 7 seater?

Man of Honour
Currently on BC it’s £117 fitted per tyre for the Avon ZV is it really worth the extra over a budget £60/£70 tyre on a 7 seater?

Personally not a fan of budget tyres but depends a bit on what kind of use they'll get - where budget tyres fall down the most is when it is cold and/or wet and even the Avons and equivalent aren't amazing there but hold up a bit better. If like me you do a lot of driving at night/all weathers you really notice the difference with the tyre performance falling off a cliff when temperatures drop into the single digits or roads slick with water, etc.

If all you do is day time odd run to the shops or 1-2 miles for work or whatever you are much less likely to expose the limits of budget tyres.

Soldato
Currently in the market for 2 new tyres as we have a puncture on a rear tyre and the other has cracks. I’m terrible with tyres but rang for some budget quotes but this post has caught my eye.

Like Rroff, I think the word budget and tyre should not be allowed. These things keep you and others safe. And I assume if you have a 7 seater you have family to ferry around? If funds allow always try and go for something from a named brand. Lot of mid range choice from most brands. Is your tyre size the same as the one linked above? If not feel free to share and people can perhaps recommend some for you. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks, I do completely agree about budget tyres as well but I find tyre shopping a complete minefield! The size we require is 225/50/17 if any recommendations can be thrown around :cool:

Soldato
Thanks, I do completely agree about budget tyres as well but I find tyre shopping a complete minefield! The size we require is 225/50/17 if any recommendations can be thrown around :cool:
If you wanted to dip your toe into a premium tyre then I'd say go for the Continental Premium Contact 7. £107.

Mid range I'd say probably the Hankook Ventus Prime 4. £93.20.

Man of Honour
Yeah Hankook Ventus probably one of the best you'd get at that kind of price range, though I couldn't see them sub £100 from a quick look.

Conti Premium Contact 6/7 are excellent tyres though - actually used quite a bit by emergency response vehicles.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Would you replace these tyres? Week 51 2018 Michelin PSS, lots of tread.
However, note the cracking..

ySophC4.jpeg

hjKde7Y.png
What? No, they're absolutely fine! :p
Just very light surface perishing, quite normal.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks guys ended up purchasing the Hankook Ventus Prime 4, £124 fitted. Completely forgot it was bank holiday though so will be a few days before being fitted, luckily don’t need the car until next week anyway.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Yes, I've said in this thread before, they do wear quicker than the competition, they also have a lower starting tread depth. But the grip is fantastic. :)

Back
Top Bottom