unpacking the u2711

Uvo

Uvo

Associate
tis a lovely monitor.

A while back i had two delivered by mistake when 2 of the boxes meant for me were missing so i ended up with everything Dell on the van.
Was gutted when the driver turned up a few hours later having realised his mistake.

maybe one day i'll be able to justify buying one.

Associate
OP
craarc,
What graphics card are you using mate to drive this beauty?

ive got 2 5770hd hate them im waiting to go back to nvidia only reason i got them was they were cheap from a mate who was also going back to nvidia as one on my nvidia i fried, so i sold the other gtx460 i think it was and got these two **** ati things... next purchase will be a gtx680 hydro and then maybe another to run in sli again imo far superior to xfire

Associate
ive got 2 5770hd hate them im waiting to go back to nvidia only reason i got them was they were cheap from a mate who was also going back to nvidia as one on my nvidia i fried, so i sold the other gtx460 i think it was and got these two **** ati things... next purchase will be a gtx680 hydro and then maybe another to run in sli again imo far superior to xfire

You sure need to some graphics juice to power that resolution. Been looking into it. You need at least a GTX 580 to get any where near a decent frame rate with most games. The 680 is just sssoooooo expensive though mate !!! :(

Soldato
I went for the U2410 last week. I looked at the Catleap monitors but meh.. the build quality sucks, no peace of mind as far as warranty goes and the reflective screen IMO is a definite nono. These monitors offer the exact opposite of that which is why I decided to get one. :D I've only used it a bit over the weekend but it's absolutely stunning, best monitor I have ever owned. Never spent so much on a monitor before!

Associate
I went for the U2410 last week. I looked at the Catleap monitors but meh.. the build quality sucks, no peace of mind as far as warranty goes and the reflective screen IMO is a definite nono. These monitors offer the exact opposite of that which is why I decided to get one. :D I've only used it a bit over the weekend but it's absolutely stunning, best monitor I have ever owned. Never spent so much on a monitor before!

"The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”

-John Ruskin

Associate
You sure need to some graphics juice to power that resolution. Been looking into it. You need at least a GTX 580 to get any where near a decent frame rate with most games. The 680 is just sssoooooo expensive though mate !!! :(

Not really, I use a Hazro 27" (2560x1440) and I can run BF3 on max settings with just a GTX 560 and have zero problems. I mean, I'm not getting 60+ FPS, but it's smooth and runs around 40 FPS.

Associate
OP
promised my self new cards anyway soon so i can put up with lower fps for a while the other factors more than compensate for a 10-20 fps drop from my old 24 so i can accept that for a bit .

Associate
OP
seems as the days go by, weird random problems are starting to appear on the catleaps etc .. i think the failure rate on them is going to increase at about the 6 month mark especially on the ones that are used for like 6 hrs or more continuously i read on another forum that they have tempurature problems after extended use and higher failure rates. hope not but it doesnt bode well for long term use atm...

Soldato
seems as the days go by, weird random problems are starting to appear on the catleaps etc .. i think the failure rate on them is going to increase at about the 6 month mark especially on the ones that are used for like 6 hrs or more continuously i read on another forum that they have tempurature problems after extended use and higher failure rates. hope not but it doesnt bode well for long term use atm...

Was just reading the comments made yesterday in the Catleap thread. I'm glad I went for my U2410 - I don't have the patience to deal with some guy from Korea via Ebay :mad: The £250 extra for the Dell U2711 isn't much when you consider how much more you get for the money.

I was open to a Catleap at first but now, it's almost like deciding to buy a 40" Bush or Alba TV over a 32" Panasonic, Sony or Samsung at the same price. Yes, the screen is bigger but if the build quality sucks then what is the point :(

Last edited:
Associate
I really wanted a U2711 but it seemed like a lot of money so I opted for a Hazro HZ27WC instead. The picture quality was superb... for three weeks and then it decided not to display anything at all, apart from minor backlight bleed on a black background.

Now I am thinking that the Dell isn't overpriced at all. I guess you get what you pay for.
I am currently going through the RMA process with OcUK in the hope that I will be able to pay the extra and move up to a U2711.

Last edited:
Soldato
Dell's warranty coverage is superb, especially with the IPS panels. Most come with 3 years as standard. With next business day warranty they'll send you a replacement next day. A RMA service is a poor way of dealing with a faulty monitor.. especially if/when you rely on it to make use of your pc :(

Hopefully you'll not have to wait too long man..

Last edited:
Associate
The Dell 2711 is the monitor of kings. I can;t help but envy you when I look at my iiyama 24". The colour bleed on this thing is dreadful, and I'd love to game at 2560x1440+

Associate
Quick question - would it be possible to run certain games at 1080 even though native is higher? Just thinking in case BF3 cannot keep up at that res - it needs an expensive card to play BF3 at ultra at that res - I might just stick to 1080 and play ultra on the 2711 (when i get it).
Thoughts on that guys ?

Associate
OP
not tried tbh

all i will say in the past tho i have found games look better in higher res even if you have to turn down other functions slightly

i always go for the highest res i can run on anything and tweak the other bits untill i get an fps drop then try it like that rather than have everything on ultra and a lower res.

Associate
Quick question - would it be possible to run certain games at 1080 even though native is higher? Just thinking in case BF3 cannot keep up at that res - it needs an expensive card to play BF3 at ultra at that res - I might just stick to 1080 and play ultra on the 2711 (when i get it).
Thoughts on that guys ?

I have one of these and 2 x GT580's and play dirt3 at 2560 x 1440 and love it!

But with battlefield I prefer to play at 1080p as a lot of things like the map etc are too small for me to see at the highest res lol.

Anyway to answer your question this monitor will run at 1080 perfectly. No worrys.

Back
Top Bottom