Unraid, FreeNAS, OpenMediaVault, etc...?

Soldato
Is Unraid better with as few RAM sticks as possible, i.e. 64GB over 2 sticks or can it deal with 4 sticks better?
Check that turbo write is enabled to improve write performance. There's also a CA plugin which enables it automatically if all array drives are spun up, if you don't want them spinning up every time there is a write.
Thanks. Will do.

Last edited:
Associate
Hmmm….

Not really sure how I feel about the extension pricing thing after just one year. Seems a bit of a cash grab.

I haven't really delved into the details too much as I have 3 Pro licenses I have been using since v4 days, and don't expect to need more, but I don't think it seems too unreasonable?

It seems like a probably overdue change in order to ensure a continuous revenue stream, which as a customer ultimately dependant on the platform I am happy for. There is definitely a risk that people will be turned off by the ongoing upgrade/support model though.

Soldato
It seems like a probably overdue change in order to ensure a continuous revenue stream, which as a customer ultimately dependant on the platform I am happy for. There is definitely a risk that people will be turned off by the ongoing upgrade/support model though.
Pretty much what I thought when I heard this was happening. There is a YouTube video that spans 1 hour and 20 minutes. I found the relevant bit and its pretty much confirmed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PihqSOF8wnA&t=3075s

Btw any reason not to buy a Pro licence now tonight?

Last edited:
Associate
Even though I said I didn't need any more, I grabbed a Basic before the change to go with the 3x Pros I already had in use. Two machines using Pro licenses are 5/6 drives, so I can use the Basic for one of those and end up with a spare that I will inevitably use at some point.

Associate
Even though I said I didn't need any more, I grabbed a Basic before the change to go with the 3x Pros I already had in use. Two machines using Pro licenses are 5/6 drives, so I can use the Basic for one of those and end up with a spare that I will inevitably use at some point.

Yeah, good idea. Kinda kicking myself now. Ah well!

Back
Top Bottom