Unreal Engine goes free

Soldato
www.unrealengine.com

Well, no upfront cost, still has the 5% royalty on titles over a certain gross revenue....it was very good value anyway, but now you can download it and complete source code for nothing.

Thinking of switching my prototyping to it from Unity as the bugs and lack of source get on my tights sometimes, and I could do with brushing up my C++. Mobile support is improving all the time too...

Soldato
It was already a good deal before but it's nice to see such a powerful engine released for free. Of course it's just clever marketing as more people use it so they get more in royalties than they'd probably make with the old subscription model but things like this really work for both parties. Giving the whole package out, including the source code, is a great touch too.

Associate
I'm gonna be all over this... like... something. I mean my prototype is in Unity but, this kind of just made things a bit easier to go for a full product I think. I did have an old version around (4.2 I think when it was first done?), so looking forward to this when I get round to it :p

edit: Although Unity is now saying they will have awesome news tomorrow at their livestream haha, this could be pretty interesting :p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Mind is already made up for me, just porting my current prototype over (it was v early phase anyway).

Source access plus no feature paywall = win. Not as fussed about mobile support as I used to be.

Man of Honour
Nice.

From my (albeit limited) experience of unity its ok if you want to make your average run of the mill game but trying to do anything even remotely out the box with it is no fun at all.

TBH its a big win for epic if they push and support it well enough - a lot of people out there with the talent and ideas to develop their own games but without necessarily the resources or finances to get it off the ground - doesn't take too many people making the odd hit game and even a fairly small percentage of the profits would be a fairly decent income for them.

Soldato
OP
Unity Pros
  • Popular
  • Range of accesible coding options (JS etc)
  • Great mobile support
  • Good 2D tools to get started with

Cons
  • Buggy!
  • No source code access to investigate/fix said bugs
  • You're not going to push the limits of hardware using it
  • Feature paywall you will hit very fast if you do anything serious
  • Expensive up front cost or sub to unlock all features (could change)

Unreal Pros
  • Cutting edge gfx engine
  • Full source access, fix bugs yourself and contribute!
  • No upfront costs
  • No feature paywall
  • Great development env
  • Proper coding! C++
  • Blueprint system

• Steeper learning curve, C++ isn't as easy for people to pick up
  • Lacking in 2D and mobile support compared to Unity

The UE marketplace is starting to fill up with real useful stuff. I can see them starting to take a big chunk of the indie dev space. Certainly if anyone was starting out learning how to create games, I would point them at UE4 now.

Associate
Interesting! Are there any decent tutorials for getting started to show the basics?

Not touched c++ since uni over 10 years ago!

Soldato
Interesting! Are there any decent tutorials for getting started to show the basics?

Not touched c++ since uni over 10 years ago!

They have a whole bunch of them on their YouTube Channel. It's obviously more about how to use the engine but they also go into their blueprint scripting which you can try out it you don't want to dive head first back into C++. I've heard good things about it.

Soldato
I was toying with this last year just for giggles. Is very powerful and way above my capabilities to use. Then again I was only trying to make games as a hobby as trying to 'get rich quick' by developing the next greatest indie game is unrealistic. On a plus I got given $30 of store credit to use as I was a subscriber.

Soldato
OP
Blueprints are very cool, even if you know C++. When I'm coding I have a mental image floating around my head anyway, so having it down in visual format is a nice way to work on scripting elements.

Lots of good video tutorials around now, and the developers do regular twitch Q&As, good community engagement.

Associate
Someone posted this and not sure if true, looks like Unity 5 will be out today and some stuff has changed in terms of pro,

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_LiE8AXIAAhKCu.jpg:large

Looks like all engine features might now be available for people for free, and pro comes with all the extra stuff. Laughed at royalty free, not sure what to think of the "Unlimited Revenue and Funding" part, which might still be the $100K still needs pro thing.

Soldato
OP
Well, good to see there's no feature paywall now....but still no source access? Biggest sticking point for me, especially given their tardiness in fixing bugs.

No profiling on free? Restricting the dark editor theme to pro? :|

Competition is all good though, Autodesk have thrown their hat in the ring too today.

Soldato
Well, good to see there's no feature paywall now....but still no source access? Biggest sticking point for me, especially given their tardiness in fixing bugs.

Competition is all good though, Autodesk have thrown their hat in the ring too today.

There has been source since day one.

Associate

Just looked it up and we do get the profiler free (99% sure). "Game Performance Reporting" says

"A preview of a new service that monitors and analyzes managed code crashes from your games."

Profiler falls under the engine features http://unity3d.com/unity/engine-features

More here
http://unity3d.com/get-unity

Can't download at the moment because, well, site is getting hammered haha, so I could be wrong but would be nice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom