Unrelated domains pointing at my site?

Associate
I run a little blog on a very cheap dedicated server using Webmin/Virtualmin, doesn't get any significant traffic beyond bots. While looking at referring links in AWstats(traffic report) I've noticed at least two unknown domains pointing to my server/site. The effect basically being that if you enter the domains my site appears with those domains in the address bar - I've tackled this by adding the following to my site's .htaccess file, so now my site always appears in the browser address bar -

Code:
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^mysite.com$
RewriteRule ^/?(.*) http://mysite.com/$1 [QSA,R=301,L]

So, for people with more experience of hosting, what exactly is the point of pointing domains at somebody else's site when that person's site doesn't get much traffic anyway?

Soldato
I've seen it happen quite a lot yet I've never seen a reason for it :confused:.

It's weird.

Only bad thing I can think of from it would be negatively effecting Google ranking. Other than that nout.

Soldato
I guess it could be used for SEO? Register a domain and point it to a site with some similar content whilst you build your site. Then once you're finished you already have a domain which already has some history so should help with search ranking.
Maybe also cybersquatting and pretending the domain is a real website by using yours?

Could also just be a typo in the ip address. Or possibly the domain was registered elsewhere and pointed to a hosting package. Hosting expired and the host recycled the ip address for you but the old domain still points to it?

Back
Top Bottom