Unsure what to upgrade

Associate
Hey guys,

first time posting here,

I currently have a PC that is really starting to die on me, and I want to upgrade. But I literally have no idea what is good or not. Ill put my budget at about 1000 euro. Basically I just want a strong pc that can the run most games etc with ease. Do anyone know what I should do? Buy parts or premade. I can build, I just don't know which parts are worth the money, I am a student after all.

My current specs are:

MB: MSI Z97-643 Gaming (MS-7816)
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K
GPU: Nvidia GTX 770
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
RAM: Corsair vengaence pro 2400mhz 2x4GB and Beast HyperX 2400mhz 2x4GB
HDD: Seagate cuda 1.5TB but old as hell I assume

I also would like a new case if anyone got any suggestions, a mid size one.

Not an expert and I'm sure the likes of Plec will be along soon to offer wisdom, but your board and chip look to be decent if overclocked which would leave the GPU as the likely best upgrade option. Would something like the RX5700 not offer a fairly decent upgrade for a reasonable cost?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-38u-sp.html

Alternatively, for a bit less, you can still get the Vega cards which are extremely capable.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...hbm2-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-38j-sp.html

After that, look around for a second hand 1080/1080Ti as they've dropped in price with the recent launches.

If you wanted a new build, Ryzen 3600, 16GB RAM, Vega64, reuse your case and the SSD, if you think your HDD has some life left then you could drop the new SSD to save some money to get a new case.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £925.59 (includes shipping: £11.70)​

Currently my PC is switching off randomly so I think its best I just replace the whole damn thing, idk what is the problem. But Thanks for the input guys!
Also, my case is pretty much broken so ill rather get a new mid sized one, since what I have is huge and heavy as ****. Will for example, what @NovaKill4 suggested fit in a smaller/mid sized case?

the main size restraints for cases are:
Motherboard ATX being the biggest then M-ATX(Micro-ATX) and ITX
GPU Length: Some GPUs can be very long and will not fit in smaller cases
CPU Cooler hight: need to check this to make sure the side panel will go back on.

Have you seen a case that you like the look of?
Post some cases here that you like and we can guide you to make sure what you buy will fit.

Are you from somewhere else in Europe? And are you ordering from OcUK or a different retailer? Just asking as you mention the budget being €1000 and not £1000.

EDIT: Here's a quick example spec you could go for or similar, something to start with at least and toy with the idea. If you can afford to up your budget a little, say sell your old rig and offset it against the new one... Would make this a tasty upgrade :D

Case is personal preference, if you want one with more bling or RGB then just pick a mid-tower one you like.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,054.93 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom