Untested items on ebay listed as used

Associate
I am seeing more and more listings where items are listed as used but then in the small print the item is described as untested and no returns. Is this practice permissible? I bet 99% of these items are junk and not working and the sellers are knowingly listing them as used. Why would they do this when they know that the buyers will get their money back if they escalate the dispute?

Associate
OP
Shouldn't "untested" mean automatically "parts or not working" as it cannot be "used" when there is a strong chance it will not work?

Associate
OP
If you go up a scrappies and get a part for your car, it's sold as seen. Might work, might not, but for that money and in those volumes, the scrappie is not going to sit down and test every single component on every single vehicle that passes through his gates... Neither will a volume dealer in whatever you're looking at.

To sell on ebay they would have to advertise as (parts/not working) and not "used".

Associate
OP
Item is not new and they havn't tested it - not sure whats hard to understand about that and why you're having an issue with it? How else would you like them to phrase it?

If you're not comfortable buying something thats not new and not checked to see if its still functional then don't buy it, simples.

Untested/Parts Only could be in the same option. This doesn't work with Used/Untested as "used" implies it is functional which untested doesn't. Without a separate option for "untested", parts/not working is the only option.
I certainly would not buy an item that is advertised as used but untested. I would however report to ebay and this seems to have worked previously.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom