Up to 20k budget, M240i or TTS ?

Soldato
As title, looking for something with a decent amount of power, but keeping reasonable running costs and these 2 are my personal favourite choices. Which one would you go for and why ?
Obviously I will test drive both, but interested in your thoughts. :)

Looks are subjective, I like the look of both ( I am talking Mk3 TT-S, not so keen on the earlier ones). Yes a TT has a rep for a certain demographic and possibly underrated for that reason. Likewise not all BMWs float my boat, but the 2 (and 4 series) I do like the look of.
Out of interest, For those that are stating bland/boring, what alternatives would you choose ?

The real answer IMO.

Personally prefer the DSG in the Audi compared to the ZF8 but I’d rather have the driving dynamics and engine of the BMW.
Maybe an S5, kind of a larger lovechild of both :D (but I believe it has a ZF box ?)

Yes I think I need to get some test drives done, I'll start with the BMW I think, already pretty familiar with VAG cars and especially EA888's on DSG's.

Is this to drive on a hyperspace bypass…?
:p:D
If you've already done EA888+DSG in something else, I think the M240i, particularly due to the engine, is far more likely to feel like a different experience, whereas the TTS might feel a bit too familiar, even if it's a different body type to your previous experience.
True, and I have rarely been disappointed in them, but I think 6 cylinders is calling be it VAG or BMW
I'd take a s3 sportback over the tts...at least semi practical. fast, light and agile, but predictable..but then have kids too, so being planted and grips like no tomorrow is ok. Drove the m240i , loved it. more fun to drive, but could also spin the wheles easily and more likely to end in a ditch on a greasy day
TBH seating practicality isnt a concern, The wife has the family car. in fact I have now mandated whatever I get only has 2 doors ;) but I had heard the M240 could be a little spirited stock in the wet.

the 2021/2 model I am not a fan of, but the 2015-21 (the one in my price range), looks good IMO.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the "COMFORT PACK" and "M240i PRO PACK" have above standard ?

Hi All, many thanks for all the input :)

Yes, I also considered a 370Z and a Boxster. I soon ruled out the 370Z due to over £700 VED a year, and sub 25 mpg.
The Boxster had me thinking for a while, but in the end I couldn't get past the price for a real nice one given the age.

So I went for what some will call the boring choice, a 23k miles, 1 owner, 4 year old 240i with a few options, most of which I would have swapped for something different :p

The car has been calling since the first time I looked at it nearly 2 weeks ago, but it was out of budget.

I went back a couple of days ago for a second more detailed look and drive, and did the deal. I should pick it up in a few days all being well.

Back
Top Bottom