Up with the Lark

Soldato
I have for the last month or so been trying a little experiment.

Now, I have always been a late riser (09:00 or even later. Being self employed has its advantages :p ), but recently I have been sleeping with the bedroom curtains open.

I now find, literally, that I am up with the dawn (IE 05:30 )

The downside, as such, is that I now struggle to stay awake much beyond 21:00. Now whether this is due to "Hours of Sleep" or "Daylight" I do not know.

(IE will I wake even earlier but manage to stay awake later as the nights shorten, or will I still need my 8 hours or so??)

I also find myself really quite drowsy around 14:00 and unless I am actively involved in something I will doze off for half an hour or so (This is actually quite natural, Something that we should probabally all do but which most people don't. See https://www.sleepfoundation.org/articles/sleep-drive-and-your-body-clock )

Now, I am sure that this represents a much more natural sleep cycle, But it doesn't fit well with the wider modern world.

I wonder how this will develop as the year progresses.

As an aside, I have also noticed that my desire for Alcohol has declined, which is a good thing too for all sorts of reasons! ;) :p

Has anybody else tried this?

(Though I accept that it is only really likley to be an option for self-employed/semi-retired people. It would be almost impossible for anybody with a regular job to try and especially if they have a family)

Soldato
OP
Interesting comments all round.

More later, But in the mean time, as I said in my OP.

Perhaps the most interesting aspect of this change in lifestyle has been the sudden and really quite dramatic loss in interest in Alcohol.

It would be intriguing if it turned out that I wasn't the only one and that simply changing a persons sleep cycle might actually be a very effective way of treating people with drink problems.

Back
Top Bottom