• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade Advice - AMD or Intel

Soldato
So quit bashing my 8700k! Or at least for a few weeks until I've had it for a while lol

I don't think anyone is bashing your 8700k - it is well acknowledged as being the best possible current chip for gaming and most workloads.

It is simply that in this thread it is not in the budget, and if you are budget conscious there is probably a better $/performance benefit from AMD currently as they are so much closer on IPC than they have ever been and at a given price point offer a lot more cores/multi-thread performance.

AMD are definitely still behind in gaming at the moment - but if we do see the single thread performance boost we hope to with the 2600 then it is going to be even closer. Your 8700k will still be an awesome chip that should last you years however good the next AMD chips are :)

Soldato
Its a win win with all the latest desktop CPU's, just pickone that falls in your budget. Unless you are doing some heavy rendering or equivalent your not got to see a massive difference on the desktop / games at standard resolutions unless you benchmark.

Associate
OP
Ok, so i think i'm good on waiting to see what the next lot of Zen brings to the table. It also gives me more room for budget on RAM and Mobo as I won't be getting the CPU just yet. I was looking at this: ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO AMD X370 and then 16gb of CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 3000MHZ. Thoughts?

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Soldato
Fairly sure people have been bandying about the idea that AMD's 400-series chipsets do much better for memory speeds. Probably worth waiting to see what's available with the processor launches :)

(Really hoping there's some nice ones, don't like my current board and would like to replace it with one that actually works as intended :p)

Soldato
Fairly sure people have been bandying about the idea that AMD's 400-series chipsets do much better for memory speeds. Probably worth waiting to see what's available with the processor launches :)

(Really hoping there's some nice ones, don't like my current board and would like to replace it with one that actually works as intended :p)

Well, for the memory, there's basically nothing beats good b.die configured to whatever settings work best. If 4ghz and slack as a _____________ works best (I had a few there, none were printable), then the b.die will still probably do it the best at the moment.
Price on 3200 cl14 keeps rising, worth getting some bought imo.

Soldato
Price on 3200 cl14 keeps rising, worth getting some bought imo.

Built the system with 2x16gb of it bud, but it won't run over 3066, alas. Kind of hoping for a really cool ITX board with no memory issues and room for an m.2 drive... it would be interesting to try to downsize the beast under my desk xD

Back
Top Bottom