• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade advice for gaming

Associate
Hey all,

Built my rig during covid whereby GPU's were stupidly expensive (...and still are!). Looking to spend up to £400 really and just wanting to play the likes of BF (various), CS2 and other various FPS games which are a couple of years old on high settings if possible? It's quite a budget rig but not after anything crazy. This goes to two 27" Samsung monitors which are standard office types (via DP), nothing fancy.

Here's the rig:
PSU - Corsair RM850i
MOBO - MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6Ghz
RAM - 32GB DDR4
GPU - Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB
Various storage but main OS is M.2 500GB

Thanks

I was running pretty much those same specs, but with an RTX 3070ti instead of the 1070, worked nicely for me! You could pickup a cheap 2nd hand model for around £300 and have £100 left over, if you were interested in going 2nd hand that is! :)

Your budget lies in the 4060 Ti range. You'd have some change left over from the 8GB model, or if you could stretch to £450 you could get the 16GB. I'd generally recommend the latter, though a lot depends on what resolution you're aiming to play at.

Edit: Alternatively, if you're not interested in RT and mostly playing older games, you may get more bang for your buck with a 7800XT, also at £450ish.

Last edited:
Thanks both. Forgot to mention, I'm quite tempted to try the 'ChatRTX' function by Nvidia for local study stuff too but the 3070ti sounds good and probably under budget which is good.

Struggling to find anything under £500 really in terms of the 3070 or 4070. Is there also a big difference between the normal and the Ti models?

best advice is don't. just wait 6 months, but if desperate. you want RT, then NVidia, if not AMD, AMD is generally better £ vs performance, but more importantly bigger vram, which will help down the line

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom