upgrade advice

Associate
I have an radeon HD 5800, intel core i5 @2.67 GHz with 4GB of memory on a P7P55D-E Pro m/b.
I'd like to squeeze as much performance out of it as possible with a new graphics card and or cpu. What could I do to get the best from the current setup?

hmm....you could try overclocking the CPU to get more out of it but you'll probably find it's going to be a bottleneck. More so with a new GPU.
If you could stretch to £300-350, you could get new CPU,Board & RAM.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £326.43 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

What could I do to get the best from the current setup?

For what do you use the PC? If it's not gaming then @snips86x build is the way to go, but if it's gaming then bang for the buck would be an extra 4 GB DDR 3 RAM (2x 2 GB) and a better GPU. From your description it looks like you have the Core i5-760 which is a quad core chip and entirely adequate for low-end gaming. Note that if you're still on 32 bit Windows then you will have to reinstall Windows to change to 64 bit, though you can use the same license key.

For GPUs, look at the GTX 1660 Super and the upcoming Radeon 5500. The 1660 Super is available for about £200. The Radeon is expected to be launched imminently.
For the RAM you want DDR3-1333 and should look at your favourite auction site: OCUK don't sell it (okay, it's out of stock) and a quick browse indicates you can get a matched set of 4x 2GB DDR3-1333 for £20. (I'm assuming the worst case - you have 4x 1 GB).

You can upgrade the CPU, motherboard, and so on later when funds permit.

it's used for a bit of general use- spreddies, browsing and a bit of photo work. mostly for games though. the cpu is the core i5 750 quad. I'm running 64bit windows 10. I'll take a look at those GPU's thanks

Back
Top Bottom