Associate
Hi folks

Looking to upgrade and have chosen the following:
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X AM4 Processor
  • MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI ATX Motherboard
  • Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB (4x8GB) 3200MHZ DDR4 RAM
  • Thermaltake Toughpower PF1 1050W ARGB Full Modular Power Supply
  • Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Air Tower Cooler
Can anyone see any issues with this setup i.e. ram clearance with the CPU fan / Adequate cooling etc.... I also have 2 existing SATA HDD drives and a SATA 512GB SSD so need to ensure the PSU will cope

Thanks in advance

A very good point, I was going to wait for AM5 in the event that AM4 might reduce in price, but I've heard that may not happen. Also, are there sufficient AM5 boards around?

My GPU is a Radeon RX590 GDDR5 8GB

Thanks for the quick response

There are price cuts already, but OCUK don't seem to have applied them yet, rumours are that they'll drop even further (£200 for 5800X, £300 for 5900X, £400 for 5950X), but we haven't seen those kind of discounts in the UK, just selected stores in the US and other places, I think.

If I recall correctly, when Zen+ got a price cut (before Zen 2 released) it lasted a month or two and once the stock was cleared they didn't go back to that level, but the market is pretty competitive now, PC shipments are down and the shelves are stuffed.
Thanks Tetras, my thinking was if any chip shortage may affect any discounts but based on yours and Haz's advice I might wait it out 2 weeks and see what happens.

I was looking at a high wattage CPU as wasn't sure if my current 750w was any good. It's currently powering an AMD FX-6300 on an MSI 97A-G46 but USB devices keep dropping out and I've had to under volt my GPU due to non-heat related freezes. Could be the motherboard but I'm no expert at all

A 5950x uses approx 240w when it is fully loaded, a 750w psu will be fine for that cpu with most gpus. RX 590 is 225w part according to Anandtech so you should have plenty of room with the 750wpsu. Of course that is assuming everything is working correctly and the gpu is getting on a bit so could be tempermental.

If you were thinking of changing the PSU then I am not sure your chosen one is an ATX 3.0 spec. In general Thermaltake make excellent psus but if I was buying now I would be looking for the new spec with the new cards in mind. Of course you would then need to make sure it had the connectors you need for the old Polaris card but nothing is ever easy is it.
Thanks Haz - agreed, enough to make your head spin. Might push the boat out and see about a new GPU but just means laying more cheddar cheese!

There have been some excellent deals on gpus over the past month or so but prices are variable. New gen of gpus in the next 6 months so it is kind of a perfect storm for upgrading. Not sure if you just game or have a workload in mind but there is real choice and competition at the moment , that is not always the case. The competition helps keep the prices down but it needs more thought to choose the correct card.

If your gpu is still doing what you need it to do then there is no harm in waiting. With Ethereium changing its rules there are going to be 100s of thousands of gpus hitting the second hand market. I am not sure we have ever seen a situation like this and I am clueless to what it will do to resale values and the second hand market. You may be able to pick up a 3080 for a steal in 6 months time but we will have to wait and see.
Main use is gaming and 3D modelling / Rendering. I might look at upgrading post AM5 except the gpu for now, then maybe look at the latter next year.

Can you recommend a suitable PSU if I did go for the specs at the start of this thread?

If you wanted to go AM4 (which is fine in my eyes, I just know that DDR5 is viable these days but AM5 is going to be expensive), I would build this

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,063.42 (includes delivery: £10.50)​

Thanks for this. Is the MB 5000 ready or will it require the BIOS update?​

Back
Top Bottom