Upgrade after 8 years

Associate
Currently have a i5-2500k and its time for an upgrade.

My PC has lasted me 8 years and still does a decent job, but some new sandbox games that I like to play struggle.

Here are my options I have thought about in terms of CPU and GPU.

Option 1
CPU: Threadripper 2950x
GPU: RTX 2070

Option 2
CPU: Intel Core i9-990k
GPU: 2070 or 2080

Option 3
CPU: Ryzen 2700X
GPU: 2070 or 2080

Option 4 (My gut instinct)
CPU: 3rd gen ryzen (hopefully 16 cores)
CPU: 2080 or Radeon 7

Need other parts, Motherboard, M.2 Drive, RAM, Case, Cooling, Power Supply

Would like a case with a tempered glass side panel and some nice RGB effects.

Don't need monitor or keyboard and mouse.

Budget anywhere from £1700 to £2250.

Would like my system future proof, that's why I like the idea of 16 cores. Don't mind it being 'Overkill' for what I do with a PC'

Any advice would be appreciated. Please feel free to recommend me a system.

X570 is June and B550 is Sept if i can remember correctly .

and i'd ditch the i9 and go for the i7 , reason being Hyper threading only adds about 15% max with gaming .

and cores and threads are good, but utter useless until engines and developers start coding for them, still only 3/4 games that do this 100% , and DX12 still hasn't had the adoption rate it should have- then again this shifts more work to GPU and lessens needs for huge CPUs most of the time.

nice touch of RGB but wouldn't have the system glowing. Case comes with USB C front port - should do nicely with mobiles coming more and more with C ports on them

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,034.62 (includes shipping: £14.70)

drop down to Aorus Pro to save £60 on the Mobo etc

price of 500gb M.2 NVMe you could get 1TB Sata 3 SSD....??

either way , Computex will be fun!!!

and cores and threads are good, but utter useless until engines and developers start coding for them, still only 3/4 games that do this 100% , and DX12 still hasn't had the adoption rate it should have- then again this shifts more work to GPU and lessens needs for huge CPUs most of the time.
Next-gen consoles will smash that barrier.
Already by then old first gen Zen cores would put consoles closest to PC in CPU processing power in very long time.
But with zero release rumours yet, new consoles are lot more likely waiting to use Zen2...
With 8 cores/16 threads being perfect fit in die size/power consumption, when made on TSMC's 7nm node.

And unlike in PC with all bloat software overhead, console games can be made to utilize that CPU power lot better.
So can actually see console first made games making lots of PCs drop on their knees in couple years.

In few years also PCI-e v4 might become beneficial for graphics cards.
Zen2 is going to be first CPU to support that.
PCI-e v4's tighter signal requirements are going to need kind of "signal amplifier" for PCB traces longer than 7 inches.
But there's possibiliy that in better motherboards slot closest to CPU might be able to fulfill its signal integrity requirements.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13829/amd-ryzen-3rd-generation-zen-2-pcie-4-eight-core

Masterliquid 240 is all fashion/bling bling, no bang when Mugen 5 trounces it in cooling power per noise:
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8320/scythe-mugen-5-rev-cpu-cooler-review/index6.html
Not to mention water pipes having awfully many more parts/things which can degrade/wear in long term, even catastrophically destroying cooling power...
Compared to "forget it in there, fan failure can only decrease cooling power" heatpipe coolers.

@EsaT

told a few vendors they should have made mini systems like Gigabyte Brix with Custom Ryzen Vega SoC , none would listen until that chinese company is producing its own PC console with custom AMD soc. look forward to that .

but yeah, next gen will push it. thought would have had more traction- specially with Lost Planet 2/3 coding being spot on

and yes, CM CLC isn't the best - does feature the nice ARGB though . still would take Eisbaer or Dark Rock coolers any day of the week :D

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £119.79 (includes shipping: £9.90)​

NCssG0R.jpg

My only advice is, go with Radeon 7 over RTX for longevity. The RTX "features" are already unusable with just 8gb of vram except with huge compromises, while vram will always reign supreme in the long term, so if you don't want to change GPUs in 2-3 years, go with Radeon.

Personally, I'd wait for the 3000 series to get released because the rumoured Ryzen 7 and 9 are going to bring insane performance.

Aside from the cpu, and the x570 mobo when it gets released, you can buy some of the other parts right now like the psu and case. Id start looking for those now and try get them when they are on sale to save yourself some ££

Back
Top Bottom