• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade - AMD 3500+ toooo x2 4200+...

Caporegime
Hi there,

I have a friend who might be upgrading theyre pc soon, from a 3500+ to an X2 4200+...well maybe the 4200 he doesent know yet...

Basically, im wondering if the performance gain is going to be anything decent? I know the increase wont be massive...Well thats what im thinking anyway.

He wont have enough money to goto C2D before anyone recommends it either ;)

Feedback is appreciated :)

Thanks.

Caporegime
OP
He doesent do video encoding, only games every so often like me. And general computer activites like browsing the net and listenening to music etc etc.

Yeah i know the dual core will help if the games are multithreaded, thing is there isnt many games that make dual core THAT worth it currently. Even though tehres loads of games that 'support' dual core, but dont really seem to do anything decent with it :)

Im just trying to weigh up the whole situation, and see if its actually worth doing...id probably say no, and just upgrade to something else at a later date.

Or i sell him my 4400+ :p But even that wont do a lot really.

Caporegime
OP
furnace said:
How much money will he have? You might be able to squeeze it in

I dont know how much exactly, going by the current price of the 4200+ im saying like £100 or something. He's at uni your see, so money isnt exactly something he see's every day :p

Associate
I've just gone from a 3700@2750 to a 4200@3050. There has been a modest increase in performance, smoother switching between apps, photoshop/lightroom are quicker.

To be honest I think that an extra GB of memory would have done me more good, but I'm on Geil One and can't track any down.

If I had thought it through a bit better I probably would have just waited and gone C2D, now that memory is so cheap, but my rig will now probably see out the year.

Associate
Delvis said:
Hi there,

I have a friend who might be upgrading theyre pc soon, from a 3500+ to an X2 4200+...well maybe the 4200 he doesent know yet...

Basically, im wondering if the performance gain is going to be anything decent? I know the increase wont be massive...Well thats what im thinking anyway.

He wont have enough money to goto C2D before anyone recommends it either ;)

Feedback is appreciated :)

Thanks.
Get the AMD64 AM2 6000+ while they are going cheap.... ;)

Soldato
I went from a 3500+ to a 4200+ about 9 months ago. I noticed the big increase with encoding and general nativation around Windows but I didnt see much of one with the games. Maybe because at the time I wasnt playing any dual core opti games.

Associate
Neggy said:
I've just gone from a 3700@2750 to a 4200@3050. There has been a modest increase in performance, smoother switching between apps, photoshop/lightroom are quicker.

To be honest I think that an extra GB of memory would have done me more good, but I'm on Geil One and can't track any down.

If I had thought it through a bit better I probably would have just waited and gone C2D, now that memory is so cheap, but my rig will now probably see out the year.

Keep watching the bay dude for the Geil one, mine went for £65 which was a total bargin to the lucky git who got them. Last Pair I saw only went for £70 so there out their but you've gotta keep your eyes peeled.

I went from an opty 146 @ 2.9GHZ to an x2 3800 at stock and noticed that windows and surfing the net was a whole lot quicker.

Then went to 2Gb and that made a big difference.

Associate
YorkshirePadd26 said:
Keep watching the bay dude for the Geil one, mine went for £65 which was a total bargin to the lucky git who got them. Last Pair I saw only went for £70 so there out their but you've gotta keep your eyes peeled.

Yeah I had a £57 quid bid on those but was not quite enough. I'll keep my eye out. Still not sure if the drop to 2T is worth the extra GB.

str

str

Soldato
Having 2GB is a massive different even with 2T for games requiring more than 1GB or especially if you're going to "upgrade" to Vista.

Associate
That's good to know, thanks. I'll probably do a whole MB/CPU/RAM change before going to vista, just trying to get a bit more life out of what i have.

Back
Top Bottom