• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade for Company of heroes!

Soldato
My friend is skint (has no job) I am going to buy him a GPU and he has the following spec (lol)

P4 2.8
768mb ram
Radeon 9550 256mb

What GPU would be a nice upgrade for me to aim for £60inc

6600Gt? (would he notice a difference?)

Soldato
Id try the members market to see if you can pick up a decent deal!
For around 60quid you may be able to pick up a 6800gt which would obviously be ideal, i have seen x800's as well go for around about those prices or a smidge higher, that would probably be your best bet!

Im assuming he is still on AGP of course

Soldato
OP
yes still AGP.

I could either get him a 1gb ram or GPU, I think GPU would show most benifit.

Problem is, he has a rubbish case + PSU (hewlett packard standard stuff)

I dont know wether it worth just asking for donation and building him a system when i get paid

Soldato
Booner! said:
yes still AGP.

I could either get him a 1gb ram or GPU, I think GPU would show most benifit.

Problem is, he has a rubbish case + PSU (hewlett packard standard stuff)

I dont know wether it worth just asking for donation and building him a system when i get paid

THe GPU is a big thing tbh and this happened with my mates PC recently, the gfx upgade will help a lot! he took a 7600gt (Obviously out of your price range) and it did help a lot, although the mem problem creeps in when he tries to push it!

Anyways id say scour the members market and im sure you could find a good un! Otherwise why not post in the wanted thread and see what offers come in :)

Soldato
The 9800 is a whole different league to the 9550, atleast a 30% increase in speed, not to mention the 8 pipelines rather than the 4 on the 9550.

The 9550 is a clocked back version of the 9600 chipset, so is a mildy capable but quite geriatric chipset now

My old 9800 pro ran Battlefield 2 with a semp(non 64) 3000+ and 512mb ram without any issues.

Great upgrade if the price is right, a 6800LE is a fantastic upgrade from a 9550 and quicker again than the 9800 and in about the 40 quid price bracket on the members market if that.

hope thats of some help

regards

Ben

Soldato
Do you want game to look good and run well, or just run well? To just run well then 6800 series will be fine, to have high details & look great then tbh your talking 7600gt 256ddr.

Booner! said:
6600Gt? (would he notice a difference?)

Nope, seen it running on these and you wont be using 1280x1024 thats for sure ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom