Upgrade for Dell U2410

Associate
I am researching a possible upgrades to my Dell U2410. Yea... I know...

I would need:
1) 1440p and 27" or higher
2) a refresh rate higher than 60Hz
3) rather low response time, but don't need 1ms... I mostly play World of Warcraft semi-hardcore, but sometimes I play FPSes or racers casually. I used to play original QuakeWorld on 120Hz crt back in the day (yea, I'm old...), so I'm kinda sensitive to these things...
4) decent colour reproduction (I'm an amateur photographer and SOMETIMES I am editing photos and 10bit on my Dell was nice)
5) g-sync would be nice, but I simply can't afford a monitor that would have g-sync and would tick above boxes, so I guess I have to live without it.
6) I don't need adjustable stand. Vesa mount will be enough.

I'm thinking about new Samsung CJG5 either 27" or 32". It has 1440p, 144Hz and VA panel and it's rather cheap.

Any opinions or recommendations, please?
How's the colour reproduction gonads be like? I don't need 110% srgb don't wanna downgrade too much.

Soldato
What's your budget? The two hot monitors right now are a Dell S2716DG and the Asus PG278QR. Both are GSYNC, 1440p and 27" and both are 8 bit TN panels so the colours are very close to IPS colours and they are both 1ms, the Dell is 144Hz and the Asus can overclock to 165Hz. The Dell can be found for £440 and the Asus for £520.

I'm having a hard time finding a TN or IPS at 27" with 144Hz that isn't Free or GSYNC. If you drop to 24" and 1080p you can find loads on the OcUK store.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your response.

To clarify:
a) I said G-Sync would be nice, but decent monitors with it are out of my financial reach at the moment :( I would prefer to have an overall good picture rather than a G-Sync on TN (i think...).
b) my budget was about 350 pounds... for last year and a half I am trying to save for one of the 35'' IPS behemoths with g-sync, but life sucks and there's always something more important and after 8 years I deserve some upgrade :D

I was looking at some monitors without G-Sync and 2 options came to my attention:
1) https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...-gaming-widescreen-led-monitor-mo-23m-sa.html
Samsung CJG50 27'' - 300pounds

2)https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...-gaming-widescreen-led-monitor-mo-23n-sa.html
Samsung CJG50 32'' - 350pounds

Considering my priorities from the first post, how I suppose to justify spending 100 pounds more on Dell S2716DG (vs. 32'' CJG50)??? Sure, I would use G-Sync, it would be great, but Samsung is much bigger, has VA panel, 144Hz and 1440p too and it costs 100 pounds less. I find it hard to find something comparable in this price point. Unfortunately I live in Ireland and I don't have a remote chance of comparing these in person, so I was wondering if anyone has it or have seen it?

My biggest concern with Samsung is the quality check. I've read some comments somewhere else about dead/stuck pixels or insects between the surface and the crystals (SIC! supposedly Samsung refused to replace it lol).

Thansk fro your help! :)

Associate
Just wanted to say 'Hello brother!'... I'm rocking 2x2410's... it is SO time to upgrade them (they've served well) but I have the UWD bug BIGTIME. Protip: if you havent seen WOW on a ultrawidescreen... dont. Anyway, current UWD displays all have compromises, and since I hold on to monitors for 8+ years it looks like I'll be waiting another year (hopefully.... it sooo harrrrrd right now...)

I would say if you're sticking to 2560x1440 you probably dont need Gsync. Not sure what your card is but 1080 Tier cards are already able to drive 1440p VERY comfortably, and in a couple of gens cards will be able to comfortably exceed 120 or 144 fps as minimum framerates so Gsync wont be necessary (much like 60hz 1080p monitors dont need gsync today).

Soldato
Thanks for your response.

To clarify:
a) I said G-Sync would be nice, but decent monitors with it are out of my financial reach at the moment :( I would prefer to have an overall good picture rather than a G-Sync on TN (i think...).
b) my budget was about 350 pounds... for last year and a half I am trying to save for one of the 35'' IPS behemoths with g-sync, but life sucks and there's always something more important and after 8 years I deserve some upgrade :D

I was looking at some monitors without G-Sync and 2 options came to my attention:
1) https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...-gaming-widescreen-led-monitor-mo-23m-sa.html
Samsung CJG50 27'' - 300pounds

2)https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...-gaming-widescreen-led-monitor-mo-23n-sa.html
Samsung CJG50 32'' - 350pounds

Considering my priorities from the first post, how I suppose to justify spending 100 pounds more on Dell S2716DG (vs. 32'' CJG50)??? Sure, I would use G-Sync, it would be great, but Samsung is much bigger, has VA panel, 144Hz and 1440p too and it costs 100 pounds less. I find it hard to find something comparable in this price point. Unfortunately I live in Ireland and I don't have a remote chance of comparing these in person, so I was wondering if anyone has it or have seen it?

My biggest concern with Samsung is the quality check. I've read some comments somewhere else about dead/stuck pixels or insects between the surface and the crystals (SIC! supposedly Samsung refused to replace it lol).

Thansk fro your help! :)

A couple of things to consider:

1. 1440p at 32" will have a very similar pixel density to a 24" 1080p, so it might not even feel like an upgrade. The image won't look any sharper than your current display.

2. Both of them are VA panels, which are very good for black levels and contrast, but not as good as IPS for colours and not as good as either IPS or TN for pixel response. It depends how sensitive you are to motion blur, ghosting and smearing, but it's worth looking into especially if gaming is going to be one of your primary uses. This might be less important for WoW than other games since it's not really fast-paced and it's generally quite a bright coloured game (VAs do worse with response on darker shades it seems). For FPS games, well maybe have a look at some Youtube videos of gaming on VA panels.

You're right that your budget isn't going to get you G-Sync, but there are couple of other options, most notably the Acer XF270HU (IPS) and XG270HU (TN) 27" 1440p Freesync displays. Both are around £380, but with Black Friday around the corner you might find them for even less. Possibly worth comparing some reviews before choosing.

Soldato
I saw those monitors @_chief_ but ignored them because they are curved. I was looking at some curved panels in a store yesterday and I just think it's a pointless gimmick. But if you're okay with curved then you have 2 options in your budget.

Personally I like Samsung, my last monitor was Samsung and my current is too. Combined I've been using Samsung monitors for 10 years. I also keep monitors for a long time I've been on this Samsung SA350 since 2011 and I'm only in the market to replace it because I spat coffee on it which got inside and I now have a black spot. I'm in a position like you where I'm treating myself and going big and I can push out to reach the lofty height of £520.

In your case I would look into if 1440p and/or 27" is worth it over GSYNC. I would guess when put to a vote GSYNC would easily win, and there are plenty of 24" 1080p 144Hz+ GSYNC TN panels out there under £400.

Overclockers even has a very good spec 24" monitor. It has everything you want except it's 24" and TN.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-...d-multimedia-monitor-black-red-mo-047-ao.html

Associate
OP
Thanks for your response guys.

JFG111->
Hello brother. Yea I've heard 21:9 is amazing in WoW... Btw, are your 2410s getting so hot too? And thanks for the tip about g-sync. I have 1080, but g-sync might get more useful in time, when my gpu will get older.

Strumpus->
1) Yea, I've checked both ppi's beforehand as I was concerned about 32" and 1440p and you're absolutely right. However, I will be gaining some real estate anyways and will be able to sit abit farther from the screen when playing on the pad.

2) And here comes the bummer... There is Acer 27" G-sync IPS 165Hz somewhere else for 480 at the moment. On paper it seems like an amazing deal, but when you start reading the reviews and customer opinions you can get a headache... Backlight bleed is the least do my worries: firmware problems, vertical line on g-sync, and some other quality issues... I don't wanna be sending the monitor back multiple times to win a blb lottery... To ship that to UK it's gonna cost me 40euro each time ...

As for VA ghosting, I will investigate. I've read a customer review, where a guy said that these new Samsungs are much better then last generation QLEDs for ghosting. However, I cannot seem to find any in depth review...

The thing is that none of these monitors are my my favourites or target ones. This is still 35" super uwd, but maybe in a year or two... So 32" Samsung for 350 seems like a nice temporary solution, yes?

Associate
OP
I saw those monitors @_chief_ but ignored them because they are curved. I was looking at some curved panels in a store yesterday and I just think it's a pointless gimmick. But if you're okay with curved then you have 2 options in your budget.

Personally I like Samsung, my last monitor was Samsung and my current is too. Combined I've been using Samsung monitors for 10 years. I also keep monitors for a long time I've been on this Samsung SA350 since 2011 and I'm only in the market to replace it because I spat coffee on it which got inside and I now have a black spot. I'm in a position like you where I'm treating myself and going big and I can push out to reach the lofty height of £520.

In your case I would look into if 1440p and/or 27" is worth it over GSYNC. I would guess when put to a vote GSYNC would easily win, and there are plenty of 24" 1080p 144Hz+ GSYNC TN panels out there under £400.

Overclockers even has a very good spec 24" monitor. It has everything you want except it's 24" and TN.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-...d-multimedia-monitor-black-red-mo-047-ao.html

Thanks for your reply.
One of the MAIN reason for upgrade is the screen size. 24" is definitely too small. Also the only TN I am considering is mentioned Dell (if you buy a monitor and it works without problems for 8 years, it's obvious you develop a sentiment to the company ).

Also, I would prefer flat to curved monitor at 27" but you can hardly get flat 27'' VA 144hz panels these days. I was surprised too.

Soldato
Strumpus->
1) Yea, I've checked both ppi's beforehand as I was concerned about 32" and 1440p and you're absolutely right. However, I will be gaining some real estate anyways and will be able to sit abit farther from the screen when playing on the pad.

2) And here comes the bummer... There is Acer 27" G-sync IPS 165Hz somewhere else for 480 at the moment. On paper it seems like an amazing deal, but when you start reading the reviews and customer opinions you can get a headache... Backlight bleed is the least do my worries: firmware problems, vertical line on g-sync, and some other quality issues... I don't wanna be sending the monitor back multiple times to win a blb lottery... To ship that to UK it's gonna cost me 40euro each time ...

As for VA ghosting, I will investigate. I've read a customer review, where a guy said that these new Samsungs are much better then last generation QLEDs for ghosting. However, I cannot seem to find any in depth review...

The thing is that none of these monitors are my my favourites or target ones. This is still 35" super uwd, but maybe in a year or two... So 32" Samsung for 350 seems like a nice temporary solution, yes?

Yeah, you're in an not-dissimilar situation to me! I've been round and round and round in circles with thoughts about quality control concerns, backlight bleed, IPS glow, TN gamma shift...

I still don't know if I'm any closer to making a decision. Some days I think I'm going to go with a TN G-Sync, the next a 1440p IPS, and the next I am back considering one of the ultrawides again!

I'd guess for you a TN is out as even the ones with good colour will still suffer from gamma shift that will throw off your photo editing a bit. The hard fact I am coming to terms with is that there's no perfect monitor and it's all down to which compromises you're willing to make (accepting some motion blur and ghosting, limited contrast, gamma shifts and poor viewing angles, or BLB and IPS glow). I swear this decision was easier four years ago!

Associate
@ Chief …. I'm also having a U2410, and recently a broken U2711. So as you; I'm also looking for some replacements. Although it's very hard to find a suitable replacement, especially if you're used to a H-IPS with 10 bits and color accuracy.

Reading some comments above, I do wanna comment; I wouldn't advise a TN as replacement though, also not the 27 inch Dell which is mentioned above in one of the comments. You will cry if you expect the same color and viewing angles as your U2410. It's bad. What is also annoying, is the color shifting, when working or gaming with the screen. You wouldn't be happy.
Sadly though; your budget isn't somewhat higher. Because there are a few screens that you could see as a replacement for your Dell. One is the upcoming (or already released) BenQ PD2700U, a 4K 27 inch IPS screen, or it's big brother the; the BenQ's 32 inch, the P3200U. Also a good option would be a ViewSonic, especially the VP3268-4K. But that one is very expensive. Although on the Nr.1 spot on my short list. It's 1100 + Euro. I'm no photographer or something like that. But I find color accuracy a must. For me personally. But I can imagine that even if that screen is absolutely good in almost every way … people will find it way to expensive, to buy. I don't blame them and understand it. But it's one of the best screens on the marked today.

How did I came to the screens mentioned above;

I looked at almost all 27 inch screens, 32 inch versions and the UW screens that are available, or still coming out. I read and saw many expert reviews, clips and user reviews. Looked on forums and google to find all the info I wanted. Although I couldn't find a real replacement. At least not one without compromises. We all know about the BLB on many screens and for instance the IPS glows. I waited for some releases, but after seeing pictures, user photo's I also didn't bought those. Such as the LG 950G, and others.

So instead of looking at screens with G-Sync and all kinds of fancy stuff, I started to look at professional screens, similar to the Dells I have / had. So screens with great color accuracy, screen uniformity and minimal BLB or IPS glow. But still be able to play a game or watch a show on it if I want. I never had issues with the Dells on those departments, and those are old.
So I came across the BenQ 3200U, and the very good Viewsonic VP3268-4K. There is also a 3rd option, that is .. if the next units are better then the ones some people already received. Because after looking at some online user pics, I was very disappointed at the upcoming Dell 3219Q. I never saw so much IPS glow on one screen. But who knows. Maybe the rest will be better.

As last .. I will be looking in the future for a fast 27 inch IPS panel (G-Sync), as a second screen. But it must be better then the Asus and Acer versions that are available now. Those are mostly bad, unless you won the IPS glow lottery. Those aren't a real; option, especially not for those prices. Even not if I just try one. That, maybe just maybe .. if Black Friday discounts offer them for a few hundred less. Lets say more then half less. Otherwise, a waste of good money.

ps.

The 27 inch (4K) BenQ mentioned, you can find it here:

The https://www.benq.com/en/monitor/designer/pd2700u.html

Price will be around 500 Euro.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ronin->
Thanks for your response. I guess there is a whole army of U2410 users looking for a replacement :) That screen was amazing for the price.

I totally agree with you regarding the colour. I remember how my jaw dropped when I started WoW on 2410 for the first time - the colour 'richness' was absolutely fantastic, it was like a new game. I am almost certain that moving from IPS to TN is most likely gonna end up with me returning the screen.

But... Right now I have different priorities. Decent colours will do me, they don't have to spectacular. It will be enough if the colours will be uniform across the screen and just... decent. I wanna try refresh rates above 60Hz. Preferably above 100hz. G-sync would be nice, but not a must. And it's out of my financial reach at the moment, so I'm giving it up.
Also, I don't want a 4K panel. I have only gtx1080 and it's not enough to push games close to 60fps @4K, so 1440p will be fine for me.

The options you presented are tempting and they look like a nice upgrade to 2410, but I'm afraid they are not what I want these days.

So it looks like I am left with VA panel. Mentioned Samsung CJG5 is rather new (August 2018). On paper it ticks all the boxes (except g-sync which is not my priority). My only worry is potential ghosting. But I've read one customer review, that ghosting is almost non-existing on CJG5 compared to previous models (even QLED).

Soldato
Besides very slow response/transition between some grey values Vertical Alignment LCD has another challenge.
Its black value/high contrast comes at expense of horizontal gamma shift of dark shades:
Basically from straight angle darkest shades have tendency to collapse to one single black, which is why it's called also as "black crush", while again appearing when looking from angle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC7EozTCGSQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhSLAirsnyw
(though not using panel's darkest shades can mitigate it... at expense of black value)
That's why professional monitors making Eizo dropped VA panels years ago, while NEC never really used VAs.

Current "QLED" is just another fancy marketing BS name for same old LCD with tweaked backlight, without doing anything to LCD's biggest problems.

Now if they actually replaced standard passive colour filter with quantum dot colour filter in front of LCD matrix, that would go long way to solving viewing angle problems of LCD's.
You can visualize LCD display being collection of tiny tubes, with light source behind tubes and shutter inside every tube controlling amount of light let through.
That's why even worst CRT had better viewing angles than most LCDs have.
Quantum dot colour filter in front of LCD matrix would absorpt that light and then emit "new" light, kinda like phosphor in CRT.

Display development is really in miserable state with very little real advances since CRT for all the marketing hype...
Tech wise "flat CRT" style FED and SED didn't go anywhere and Organic LEDs just don't seem to get rid of their challenges.
Sure hope true quantum dot LED development goes well to challenge OLED.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_dot_display#Working_principle

2) And here comes the bummer... There is Acer 27" G-sync IPS 165Hz somewhere else for 480 at the moment.
OcUK would have £450 price for Asus 144Hz IPS... With Adaptive/FreeSync, which Nvidia could likely support by simple driver upgrade if people stopped paying G-sync tax.
("G-sync" laptops use tech behind AdaptiveSync)
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...escreen-led-slim-bezel-monitor-mo-083-as.html

Associate
OP
Thanks EsaT.
I wasn't aware of the 'black crush' and it kinda looks like a deal breaker... And I thought I have it all figured out...
QLED - I don't care about it. I was just lazy and wrote it instead of CHG70 (you know, one less char to type :p).

What bothers me about MG279Q you've linked is that it's a 3-year old monitor. It's not a big issue, but it's a pitty that there's nothing newer without g-sync or hdr or 4k...

How about Acer XF270HUA which at OcUK is for £380? On paper it seems the same?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/acer...ing-widescreen-led-monitor-bla-mo-095-ac.html

Associate
@Chief

You're welcome ;)

VA seems nice on paper. I also looked at them. For instance at one of the AOC Widescreen Black models. But diving more into it, it wasn't only the great Blacks it gave or as many will tell you .. the bad viewing angles.
But shifting colors, ghosting and Black crushes are also a few issues with those screens. I understand why some will buy them. At a straight angle, it looks good. But you don't wanna play fast games on them, or do
color accurate work. But that's just my opinion. It it would buy something with VA, it would be a TV screen. My old Pioneer Plasma in the livingroom is amazing, and if I buy a new LCD for the bedroom (have a 15 year old Loewe there)
I might go for the Sony XF9005 (here in Holland). Viewing angles aren't that great, but the rest is. Good Blacks, colors and you could even game on it if you want. Although for computer monitors, I prefer IPS. Even if I watch a ton
of movies and series on them instead of on the TV's. (my partner and my daughter look at other things, you know how that goes; Girl things :p).

I hope that you find what your looking for. If you don't know yet what to buy, or can't find a suitable replacement .. the U2410 will still do it's work for you, until then. As mine doing it for me, for the past year .. while searching for something else. ;)

Associate
OP
@Chief

You're welcome ;)

VA seems nice on paper. I also looked at them. For instance at one of the AOC Widescreen Black models. But diving more into it, it wasn't only the great Blacks it gave or as many will tell you .. the bad viewing angles.
But shifting colors, ghosting and Black crushes are also a few issues with those screens. I understand why some will buy them. At a straight angle, it looks good. But you don't wanna play fast games on them, or do
color accurate work. But that's just my opinion. It it would buy something with VA, it would be a TV screen. My old Pioneer Plasma in the livingroom is amazing, and if I buy a new LCD for the bedroom (have a 15 year old Loewe there)
I might go for the Sony XF9005 (here in Holland). Viewing angles aren't that great, but the rest is. Good Blacks, colors and you could even game on it if you want. Although for computer monitors, I prefer IPS. Even if I watch a ton
of movies and series on them instead of on the TV's. (my partner and my daughter look at other things, you know how that goes; Girl things :p).

I hope that you find what your looking for. If you don't know yet what to buy, or can't find a suitable replacement .. the U2410 will still do it's work for you, until then. As mine doing it for me, for the past year .. while searching for something else. ;)

After some thought I am leaning more and more towards 144Hz IPS either from Asus or Acer. Just waiting for some real Black Friday deals :D Unless that 380 pounds Acer I mentioned before is the best I can get.

Associate
Seems to be a nice price.

I'm also looking and waiting (hoping) for some nice discounts. I don't think the Viewsonic will be discounted here in the Netherlands or for instance Germany. But you never know.
I'm looking for 2 screens in total. Although I'm not in the rush for that second one. I can wait for 2019 or something like that. But if some brands come with very good discounts, no-brainers as you will, It might
get itchy. Besides that; I'm also waiting for some discounts on stuff and hardware beyond a new screen. So it will be a (hopefully) interesting week ;)

Associate
OP
So I have decided to get the Acer XF270HUA, as I couldn't part with an IPS panel. It has arrived today and I had a chance to play with it a bit. Few conclusions, moving from Dell U2410:

1) Out of the box, the colours etc. are not as good as U2410 out of the box. Plenty of options to adjust so it's OK.
2) 8-bit colour - coming down from 10-bit is not that much of an issue in everyday use, however, I haven't tried to edit any photos yet.
3) Sizewise, moving to 27'' from 24'' doesn't give you WOW effect.
4) 27''+1440p (in Windows etc.): moving from 24''+1200p is a bit of a shock. Everything in Windows is so small... Potentially it could be problematic, hopefully I will get used to it. I think that 1440p@32'' screen would suit me better and would give me the WOW effect of a screen size.
5) 27''+1440p (in games): higher pixel density is nice. Higher pixel count means a bit more powerful graphics card needed to push the games, but not much of a need to anti-alias or upscale the resolution. This seems like nice size+resolution combo.
6) 144Hz - I AM NEVER GOING BACK TO 60Hz! Even stupid mouse cursor in Windows seems smoother :D
7) Backlight bleed - unfortunately I have a small one in the bottom left corner... It's a bit bothering in some situations, but what can I do...? Send it and risk something worse? Shipping to UK from Ireland is horrendously expensive... And it could be worse, so I am keeping it.
8) Build quality - it's a nice very slim bezel ("zero" frame). Stand is too wobbly for my liking tho. It seems like a very slight downgrade from U2410 (build quality).
8) Overall I am satisfied with the monitor. Colour reproduction or build quality are not as good as U2410, but LED, resolution, size and 144Hz compensate that enough to justify spending the money. I recommend it as a "gaming" upgrade to U2410.

Soldato
7) Backlight bleed - unfortunately I have a small one in the bottom left corner... It's a bit bothering in some situations, but what can I do...? Send it and risk something worse? Shipping to UK from Ireland is horrendously expensive... And it could be worse, so I am keeping it.

Is it definitely BLB, or might it be IPS glow?

If it's glow, it will change shade and intensity as you move your head, and will decrease as you move further back from the screen.

As I understand it, you may get a better display if it is BLB and you choose to RMA it, but you're not going to get a unit free from IPS glow (and the lower left corner does tend to be the worst affected in a lot of displays).

Associate
So I have decided to get the Acer XF270HUA, as I couldn't part with an IPS panel. It has arrived today and I had a chance to play with it a bit. Few conclusions, moving from Dell U2410:

1) Out of the box, the colours etc. are not as good as U2410 out of the box. Plenty of options to adjust so it's OK.
2) 8-bit colour - coming down from 10-bit is not that much of an issue in everyday use, however, I haven't tried to edit any photos yet.
3) Sizewise, moving to 27'' from 24'' doesn't give you WOW effect.
4) 27''+1440p (in Windows etc.): moving from 24''+1200p is a bit of a shock. Everything in Windows is so small... Potentially it could be problematic, hopefully I will get used to it. I think that 1440p@32'' screen would suit me better and would give me the WOW effect of a screen size.
5) 27''+1440p (in games): higher pixel density is nice. Higher pixel count means a bit more powerful graphics card needed to push the games, but not much of a need to anti-alias or upscale the resolution. This seems like nice size+resolution combo.
6) 144Hz - I AM NEVER GOING BACK TO 60Hz! Even stupid mouse cursor in Windows seems smoother :D
8) Build quality - it's a nice very slim bezel ("zero" frame). Stand is too wobbly for my liking tho. It seems like a very slight downgrade from U2410 (build quality).
8) Overall I am satisfied with the monitor. Colour reproduction or build quality are not as good as U2410, but LED, resolution, size and 144Hz compensate that enough to justify spending the money. I recommend it as a "gaming" upgrade to U2410.

I got the same panel and looks like I have no glow etc.
Just confused on the colours. It 'seems' different, just not sure how. Been looking for ICC profiles etc but cannot find anything. I know all monitors are different, but what settings did you use?
I've lowered the brightness, but the white seems ever so slightly yellowish?

Back
Top Bottom