• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade from 1080

Associate
Morning all! So I'm currently running a 1080 and I think it's time for an upgrade so my question is, do I attempt to find a 2080 super or do I carry on waiting for a 3080 to become available.

I currently use my card for Streaming and playing a few demanding games. I think its age is really starting to show when it comes to streaming, I use my GPU to encode (NVEC New) and I've heard good things about the 2080 super when it comes to performance but I'm happy to be corrected :D

Associate
At the moment both cards are massively above msrp, but prices are dropping. Nvidia are making more 3080s than 2080s, and so hopefully when the prices drop by the end of the year they'll be more reasonably priced. A 1080 is still a really great card and so I'd stick with it until the 3080 drops back to the sub-£800 range. Especially for streaming/video editing, as the 2080 super has 3,072 CUDA cores vs. the 3080's 10,240. The 2080s is quite a bit worse than the 3080 on paper from what I've seen, though both are great cards. If you really need one now, both are good so get whatever you can find in the current shortages.

Associate
Morning all! So I'm currently running a 1080 and I think it's time for an upgrade so my question is, do I attempt to find a 2080 super or do I carry on waiting for a 3080 to become available.

I currently use my card for Streaming and playing a few demanding games. I think its age is really starting to show when it comes to streaming, I use my GPU to encode (NVEC New) and I've heard good things about the 2080 super when it comes to performance but I'm happy to be corrected :D

I'd try to get 3080FE for msrp, I know they are like hens teeth, but with alerts and a bit of luck it's doable, plus if you sell your 1080, you'll get 50-80% back, just don't sell it before you have 3080, plenty made that mistake and are still without GPU ;)

Associate
I'd try to get 3080FE for msrp, I know they are like hens teeth, but with alerts and a bit of luck it's doable, plus if you sell your 1080, you'll get 50-80% back, just don't sell it before you have 3080, plenty made that mistake and are still without GPU ;)

That's good advice, and pretty much the only way to get a 3080 at MSRP. And yes, whatever you do, don't sell your current card.

I have 1080 and It's pulling its weight no problems, but then again I dont play FPS games.

Indeed, if you mainly play single-player games and don't play many FPS games. The 1080 you have, will last a bit longer.

Associate
I was in your boat OP and looking for a 3080. I eventually caved in and bought a 3090 for just over £1500 and sold the 1080 for about £250. I'm happy with the 3090 but doubt I would ever do this again. A unique decision for a unique time (I hope!)

Soldato

A 1080 can't be that bad! If I were you monitor the crypto situation as the trend at the moment is it's becoming less profitable due to a combination of market price volatility, Ethereum 2 and the development of ASIC's. Worldwide there miners have hooverd up 700,000 video cards in Q1 most of which will be 3070's, 3080's and 3090's (and most of those I suspect being 3080's) and as mining becomes unprofitable miners will want to recover the cost of the hardware and with that many cards hitting the 2nd hand market in a short space of time prices will crash as the demand from gamers has been slowly eaten up by a trickle of supply from distributors and retailers.

Back
Top Bottom