• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade from 9900k to Ryzen 5900x right now for gaming or wait for Zen 3d V-cache refresh?

Associate
I currently have a 9900k (overclocked to 5.0ghz) / 3080 Ti and play at 4K and lately I have been seeing instances of CPU bottlenecks in games like Cyberpunk 2077, Watch Dogs Legion and Far Cry 6, mainly with DLSS/FSR enabled and GPU usage in certain areas goes down to 80-90%. Far Cry 6 is consistently in the 80-90% range.

I was thinking of waiting for Alder Lake until now but seeing as there could be issues with older game titles, sky high prices of DDR5 RAM and possible stability issues at the beginning, wanted to stick to a more stable platform. Since I am playing at 4K, and the bottleneck isn’t that huge, should I wait for the new Zen 3 refresh in 2022, supposed to have a 15% increase in gaming performance or will a 5900X still get the job done?

I will only be using the PC for gaming, nothing more.

Back
Top Bottom