• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade from i7 2600k?

Associate
It would be cool to see benchmark on your old vs. new.

A bit late, but I got the new rig up over the weekend. Of course I only have 1 gpu between them which makes testing pure CPU bound stuff a headache, but hoping to get some time this weekend to do a 'proper' comparison. I don't do too much modern AAA, so gaming won't be the newest best titles, but hey, it's what I do. Again, any comparison benchmarks you want, let me know and I'll run them if I can.

EDIT: I should add, I'm seeing higher than expected idle temps. Prime95 blend test load looks ok, but the small FFT tests push it right to the thermal limit which I'm not happy about - going to reseat the cooler (scythe mugen 5 pcgh) this week and check the thermal paste spread and mount, make sure it's all ok.

From what I've noticed so far, load times seems to be faster, and FPS is up a little, 100% gpu bound in ashes: escalation and 100% GPU usage in borderlands 2 with very little cpu. Hopefully some actual details to come!

Last edited:
Associate
I know there are a lot of threads swinging around about upgrades in light of the new AMD chips and I've been holding off upgrading awaiting this.

My current chip has been in the system for about 7 years now and has done me very well, it's been overclocked on water since I got it and is still running fine today. I'm running a 1080FE as my GFX card along with a few SSDs and 16gb ram.

Budget isn't really a concern, I just want a good and fast system to last me for another good number of years.

My plan is to only change the CPU, MOBO and RAM and keep running with the 1080.

What does everyone think/recommend?

what do you want to use your computer for? and what games at what resolutions?

Associate
OP
what do you want to use your computer for? and what games at what resolutions?

Already answered these earlier in the thread, but it's for gaming on the whole (With a bit of photo editing) and at 3440*1440.

My real concern is all the threads I'm reading with various issues, but I guess teething for a new product?

Associate
From what I have seen in cpu comparisons a little bit of an uplift single thread from what you have. If just playing games a 3600 would be best choice as it gives around same single as the higher chips, but also has the extra cores over the 2600k so you will benefit all round.
Would like to see single cine score to actually compare my overclock to 3600. I know last time I looked from a 2600K at 4.8Mhz to a 1700 was about same so although I had chance to mess around with one for a friend. I actually didn't take plunge myself.

Associate
Right, I have a 3DMark TimeSpy comparison handy (have rough game benchmarks at home I'll post later)

The gfx card is a vega 56, and is shared across the 2 builds.

Old: 2600K @ 4.5GHz, SATA SSD (970 evo pro, good few years old at this point), 16GB ram , not sure on speed
New: 3700X @ Stock + PB/PBO, m.2 970 EVO Plus nvme, 16GB 8pack @ 3200MHz

Old score: 5941 overall, CPU score: 3686 @ 12.39 fps
New score: 7036 overall, CPU score: 9846 @ 33.08 fps

There's a definite improvement for sure, though I would liken it to an old generational improvement (e.g. what we got with sandy bridge) compared to the many generations since the chip was done. So I would say it's worth it. One thing I *don't* like is the high idle temps, sitting around 50C. This is with a mugen5 pgch (and yes I have reseated it and checked for the spread of paste, all looks normal), so I'm wondering if it's tied to the MIS beta bios - think I'll adjust the fan curve to try and get it lower, but that's for a separate thread.

In short - 3600/3700 will see a decent upgrade, perhaps more so than I have as I'm defo GPU limited @ 1440p ultra on the vega. I would (and did) upgrade. I do notice load times and app startup times are a lot better, but I cannot tie that down to the CPU as I went old SATA ssd -> new nvme.

TrM

TrM

Associate
Right, I have a 3DMark TimeSpy comparison handy (have rough game benchmarks at home I'll post later)

The gfx card is a vega 56, and is shared across the 2 builds.

Old: 2600K @ 4.5GHz, SATA SSD (970 evo pro, good few years old at this point), 16GB ram , not sure on speed
New: 3700X @ Stock + PB/PBO, m.2 970 EVO Plus nvme, 16GB 8pack @ 3200MHz

Old score: 5941 overall, CPU score: 3686 @ 12.39 fps
New score: 7036 overall, CPU score: 9846 @ 33.08 fps

There's a definite improvement for sure, though I would liken it to an old generational improvement (e.g. what we got with sandy bridge) compared to the many generations since the chip was done. So I would say it's worth it. One thing I *don't* like is the high idle temps, sitting around 50C. This is with a mugen5 pgch (and yes I have reseated it and checked for the spread of paste, all looks normal), so I'm wondering if it's tied to the MIS beta bios - think I'll adjust the fan curve to try and get it lower, but that's for a separate thread.

In short - 3600/3700 will see a decent upgrade, perhaps more so than I have as I'm defo GPU limited @ 1440p ultra on the vega. I would (and did) upgrade. I do notice load times and app startup times are a lot better, but I cannot tie that down to the CPU as I went old SATA ssd -> new nvme.

thats a nice upgrade :) with time spy cpu score go to show in general how far we ahve come in the alst 3 years since gen 1 of ryzen.
msi bios is very agressive on single core boosting voltage i have a msi x570 meg ace on custom loop and admittingly my office with a stuck window is like a furnice atm my idle temps are very high also. msi have said there new bios will help with high stock temps but if you ask me atm msi are scrambling with bioses as nearly all there x370 x470 etc are so brken they cant even fit the click bios ui on the chips atm and x570 development is suffering for it

Associate
they cant even fit the click bios ui on the chips atm

Good lol, too many fancy looks in these new fangled bios interfaces anyway. Ranting aside, I've seen yer AMD man on reddit saying that high idle voltage is normal and it should drop under load, which it does so I don't think it's abnormal, and temp spikes will be seen a lot due to the frequency of it being able to boost on/off being a lot faster than a fans ramp up speed. It makes sense, but it's such a departure from what I'm used to it makes me a little uncomfortable and doubt myself a bit! I'm going to try the new MSI non beta bios that was just made available the other day and see if it makes a difference, been on the beta one until now (not like I had a choice...).

Associate
From what I have seen in cpu comparisons a little bit of an uplift single thread from what you have. If just playing games a 3600 would be best choice as it gives around same single as the higher chips, but also has the extra cores over the 2600k so you will benefit all round.
Would like to see single cine score to actually compare my overclock to 3600. I know last time I looked from a 2600K at 4.8Mhz to a 1700 was about same so although I had chance to mess around with one for a friend. I actually didn't take plunge myself.
I have also seen that even the lowely 3600 is a good upgrade up to the 2700x.

Associate
Some final very approximate numbers, completely unprofessionally obtained at 2560x1440

Borderlands 2, Ultra High: ~100fps -> ~141fps (100% GPU usage)
CS:GO, Max: (130-190) -> (200-230)
Ashes of a Singularity, Very High CPU focused benchmark: 28.6fps -> 52.4fps (100% gpu bound in the gpu test)
Final Fantasy XV (High): 60fps, no change. 100% GPU usage. 1080p goes to 80fps.

I also played a bit of Warhammer 40K Space Marine on the new machine, over 200fps at one point, locked at 144 with vsync at 58% GPU usage.

Hope that's useful to someone!

Associate
Some final very approximate numbers, completely unprofessionally obtained at 2560x1440

Borderlands 2, Ultra High: ~100fps -> ~141fps (100% GPU usage)
CS:GO, Max: (130-190) -> (200-230)
Ashes of a Singularity, Very High CPU focused benchmark: 28.6fps -> 52.4fps (100% gpu bound in the gpu test)
Final Fantasy XV (High): 60fps, no change. 100% GPU usage. 1080p goes to 80fps.

I also played a bit of Warhammer 40K Space Marine on the new machine, over 200fps at one point, locked at 144 with vsync at 58% GPU usage.

Hope that's useful to someone!
is that on your 3700X?

Back
Top Bottom