• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

upgrade from i7 4790

Associate
hi all been rocking this for quite some time and on the fence to upgrade.

wanted to ask if this looks good.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £956.40 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

I currently have a 2070 and psu etc im just looking to upgrade my cpu and when the ti versions of ampere get announce i will get a 4k monitor and new gpu. currently gaming at 1080p. im just wanting to know of any compatibility issues.

thanks

Associate
OP
I’m still with my 4790 and created a similar thread to yours. The new AMD Zen 3 chips are released very soon and may be a good choice for a gaming system otherwise if you can’t wait the 10600k gives almost as good performance as the 10900k for a much cheaper price.

yes I know what you mean I’m really itching to upgrade my pc is only for gaming and very slight photoshop use for when my partner needs more stuff designed for her business but that’s it.

I have looked into benchmarks and realise the i5 is perfect but I’m the type of guy that wants to know he got the best at the time and it will hopefully last as long as my 4790 has.
I have been debating to go amd just for the fact that it has more cores and anything running in the background I don’t have to worry about while gaming.

I may wait for amd but I can’t help looking every day for an upgrade and to be honest I’m doing my own head in.

Associate
OP
Painful I know, but I think you'll be glad you did. The Ryzens support PCIe4 too so if they take the gaming crown with Zen 3 from Intel you will have that benefit too.

I know pal I’m just really bad for that upgrade itch. I’m not bothered which cpu I get as long as it offers me the best gaming performance as that’s my main use. I am not bothered about sticking with intel it’s just at the present time they offer the best performance.

Another thing real quick I read that your windows key is basically registered to your online account that you log into windows with so I don’t need to buy a windows key when I upgrade is this correct?.

Associate
OP
Doubtfull 10 core stays high end for as long as you have had that 4790K.
I mean before Christmas next-gen consoles will bring 8 core CPU as next-gen standard level!

you have to remember them 8 cores arent clocked high and the desktop cpu will always be more powerful. 10 cores with higher clock speeds id say is well enough

Associate
OP
I upgraded some time ago to an 8700k and it flies. These must be reasonably cheap now used and used cpus are solid (i build and repair pcs for a living).

With uncertainty about both ryzen 4 and 11th gen Intel performance per ££ id be inclined to go with a new mobo 8700k or similar, used ram and a new nvme. Saving probably enough for a 3070 or a chunk towards a 3080. Then look towards intel 12th or even 13th gen when we might start to see some changes to nvme speeds that will translate to real world gains.

I just dont think the leap from 7th or 8th gen cpus to 10th is worth the premium and coming from 4th gen itll be huge for you with nvme

got a chance there to buy a system local to me 2nd hand i7 9700k with a rx 580 for £600.

Associate
OP
So I got the 9700k system. Swapped it out and put it in my case because I’m not a big fan of big lumpy glass panel cases. When playing war zone with low settings high textures i was getting 60s in built up areas and normal gameplay around 70+ to 80 frames. Had a quick blast on it yesterday with the 9700k and Same settings I’m getting 130+ frames.
The benchmarks I have seen and basically 10 to 15fps off what is currently top chips from intel now but I can live with that. Planning on going 1440p 144hz when I get a 3080 so I know in that resolution and higher is more gpu bound in most games so I should be fine for a long time.

with me getting this I can put the gpu I got in my old system and sell that as a whole and sell my 2070 to get a 3080 happy days indeed.

thanks for the responses guys.

Associate
OP
also I would put my top dollars on even 2080ti being gimped by only having pcie3.
I’m sorry but I was on a website just the other day and it said a 9700k paired with a 2080ti produces under 1% bottleneck at 1080p resolution and the higher the res it fell dramatically because it gets more dependable on gpu.

I’m really not being funny here but that 1% I could live with. I don’t have to have the latest features if my setup is currently giving me results I am happy with. I have been gaming with a 4790 at 1080 with a decent card and I know at 1080p which I game at it has been bottlenecking. I had the option to get a better card and go higher res as the 4790 is still a capable performer in higher resolutions regardless off bandwidth. I am planning going higher and could have kept it but now I have double the cores and it’s a lot less stress overall for my system when I do.

Back
Top Bottom