Upgrade help please...

Associate
It is finally time for me to upgrade my PC.
Current PC is XP2700, 1gb ram ASUS mobo, 9800XT, Audigy ZS 2.

I will at some point want to try and overclock the new system (never done it before and am interested) please bear that in mind.

CPU and RAM chose below:
Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX (2x1GB) CAS2 (MY-079-CS)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ (Socket 939) - OEM (CP-152-AM)

As for the motherboard / Cooler / GFX card I would like some opinions please...

I think very highly of Asus boards and would definately buy another one, however which one I am unsure. Is the A8N Premium worth the extra cash over the SE version? Does the motherboard have a big influence in overclocks?
Would a Thermalright XP/SI 120 fit the A8N's? I hear these are one of the best coolers around.
Finally onto the GFX card, I was thinking about pushing the boat out and purchasing a 7900GT. Good choice or...?

I will be keeping my sound card and hard drives from my current PC, also my PSU which is a hyperpower 420w. I can't see me needing a more powerful one?

Thanks for reading

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

I have just had a read of the **Official Asus A8N-SLI Premium Thread** and people in there have had some reasonable results on overclocking. Also some people are using the thermalright coolers on the same motherboard.
I think I will stick with ASUS as reliablity and stability is probably more important.

The ATI Radeon X1900 XT-X is probably more than I would like to spend on a grahpics card, what are the X1800's like? Much better than the 7900GT's?

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom