• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade itch - thinking of moving on from my 5900x

Associate
As per the title, I'm looking to upgrade in the near future (see what Black friday deals are about) from my 5900x. I game every now and again, but most of the time I'm using my pc for productivity stuff, such as Photoshop & Lightroom.
I've looked at the Ryzen 7900x and Intel's offering, and I'm tempted to get the 13700k, but I've been out of the loop on current gen stuff, so would like to know where to put my money?

Any thoughts and recommendations appreciated.

Man of Honour
I'd have a look at the reviews which cover the 14th gen along with various AMD CPUs.

Personally I'm pretty happy with the 14700K at the price point, but depending on the balance of what you do potentially other CPUs are better.

Man of Honour
I'd go with the 14700K, good mix of single and multi thread performance. I hope your usage is pretty serious though, or you might be disappointed at the difference it makes day-to-day.

Man of Honour
I'd go with the 14700K, good mix of single and multi thread performance. I hope your usage is pretty serious though, or you might be disappointed at the difference it makes day-to-day.

Yeah any remotely recent CPU still holds up surprisingly well for day-to-day - I'm surprised at times how well my 1650 V2 @ 4.7GHz keeps up with this 14700K (perceptually in tasks more than benchmarks and it wouldn't hold up so well in games if I had 4090s say instead of 3070s heh).

It is a bit of an odd situation at the moment in that there isn't really any one best CPU and some CPUs can put up a really strong showing in some areas but then lag behind in other areas. Something which also might be a decider are things like requirement for PCI-e provisioning or M.2 support.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'd have a look at the reviews which cover the 14th gen along with various AMD CPUs.

Personally I'm pretty happy with the 14700K at the price point, but depending on the balance of what you do potentially other CPUs are better.
What are the differences between the 14700k and the 13700k? There is hardly any price difference, so might be better going with the former?

Man of Honour
If you do go 14th gen, make sure you get a board with flashback

And/or if you don't have a CPU with embedded graphics - to expand on that when I put my 14700K and Z790 Aorus Master build together I had no display on the screen from my 3070 with the out the box BIOS - but could get into the BIOS with the embedded graphics - until I'd flashed to the latest beta BIOS the system didn't recognise the PCI-e lanes from the CPU for either the GPU or CPU M.2 slots.

Annoyingly the latest stable BIOS, which I blind flashed after having no display, which was updated for initial support of 14th gen, wasn't actually fully compatible with 14th gen and still gave me issues, but the beta release fortunately seems to be perfect.

Associate
OP
Just a quick update to say that I finally bought my new cpu and went with the Ryzen 9 7950xd, along with the Asus ROG Strix x670-e & two sticks of Kingston 64gb ddr5 6000 cl30 ram. I was ready to go full intel, but I knew it was an EOL socket. Hopefully the cpu is as good as I've read/seem :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Just a quick update to say that I finally bought my new cpu and went with the Ryzen 9 7950xd, along with the Asus ROG Strix x670-e & two sticks of Kingston 64gb ddr5 6000 cl30 ram. I was ready to go full intel, but I knew it was an EOL socket. Hopefully the cpu is as good as I've read/seem :)
I made the same choice with no regrets. Just make sure its working correctly with the OS.

Soldato
I can't really justify upgrading from the 5900x CPU I'm on. Does everything i need and decent for gaming too. I think I've got to the age where I can't be azzed with all the marketing trying to give the upgrade itch.

Last edited:
Associate
I can't really justify upgrading from the 5900x CPU I'm on. Does everything i need and decent for gaming too. I think I've got to the age where I can't be azzed with all the marketing trying to give the upgrade itch.

Pretty much where I am at. Said I will build a new rig end of next year and to force me to do it I will split current setup between my two lads (although they never complain about their setups either). Just finished starfield on mine with a RX 6800, honestly never had a single issue with framerate.

Soldato
I used to build PCs for a living and the first question I always asked someone who wanted an upgrade was, is your current PC too slow? If the answer was no, I told them to save their money.

I do a mix of photoshop and gaming at 4K and my 5900X with 4080 is running well. The cost for an upgrade is excessive for marginal 1% gains in gaming at 4K.

Back
Top Bottom