Upgrade now or wait for next gen?

Associate
Hi forums,

So, I'm trying to figure out whether to upgrade my current setup now or wait until the next gen of things turns up (which maybe this year, I don't know). Reasons are essentially Wifey needs a new PC as my old HP Z600 she's been using is starting to show signs of age (it's 8 years old) and I have my annual bonus burning a hole in my pocket.

Currently running AMD Ryzen 9 5900X on a MSI X570 Tomahawk Wifi with a MSI Suprim RTX 3080 with 32Gb RAM (DDR4-3600 16/16/16/36) which I use to play games, mainly GTAV, World of Warcraft and Forza Horizon and performance is fine.

I've been looking at going completely team red and am hovering over the buy button for a Ryzen 7 7800X3D, Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master, Radeon RX 7900 XTX and 32Gb RAM (EXPO, CL30). I moved over to Linux gaming about 2 years ago hence wanting to go all AMD.

So, my question is, pull the trigger on this now or wait for the next gen of AMD to come? I've read that AMD's next gen of GPU's aren't going to try and compete with the greatest nVidia will have to offer so the 7900xtx maybe the last fast AMD card but then will RDNA4 be game changing in other ways?

Thanks for thoughts and opinions

Man of Honour
Wifey needs a new PC as my old HP Z600 she's been using is starting to show signs of age (it's 8 years old) and I have my annual bonus burning a hole in my pocket.

I've been looking at going completely team red and am hovering over the buy button for a Ryzen 7 7800X3D, Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master, Radeon RX 7900 XTX and 32Gb RAM (EXPO, CL30). I moved over to Linux gaming about 2 years ago hence wanting to go all AMD.
I'd do it now. Is it optimum? No, is it better than buying her a new PC? YES! Get your gaming upgrade in quick before you end up buying something else.

Word of warning though: if you do any productivity stuff then the X3D is a very mild upgrade, or even a small downgrade if the work is heavily multithreaded.

Soldato
I’d hang on, new CPUs, GPUs are arriving later this year and if your wife has managed for 8 years then a few more months won’t hurt.

Man of Honour
I’d hang on, new CPUs, GPUs are arriving later this year and if your wife has managed for 8 years then a few more months won’t hurt.
Rumours suggest that only the 5090 will be released this year, how true that is only time will tell.

Bit disappointing if true.

Last edited:
Associate
But the 5090 buyers will sell their 4090s and the people buying those will sell their 4080 and the people buying those etc...

Before you know it 3080s are £200 for Christmas.

I live in hope

Back
Top Bottom