Associate
Hi, I am wondering whether to get a new pc or upgrade my current one. The thing is, If I upgrade I wouldn’t know what motherboard fits into my pc and if my current power supply if enough or not with the new upgrades. Below I am going to list my current specs and what I would like to upgrade to:

My current specs:

CPU - AMD Athlon X4 880K Quad Core Processor, 4GHz

GPU - Radeon RX 560

RAM - 16GB (8 X 2) 1600MHz DDR3

Motherboard - ASUS A88X Gamer

Storage - 112GB SSD SATA

Power supply - 450 watts (230 volts)

Specs I would like to upgrade to:

CPU - Intel Core i3 10100

RAM - 16GB 3200MHz DDR4

Motherboard - Any that will fit with the specs I want and my current GPU and storage and power supply.

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Depends how much you want to spend. If you want a decent graphics card you might be better off buying a ready built PC.

(also yes get a new PSU to answer your question)

Personally I wouldn't bother with a 10th or 11th gen and go for a 12th gen CPU if you can get a cheap enough DDR4 motherboard as there is supposed to be a killer low end CPU coming out soon if not already.

Associate
OP
Depends how much you want to spend. If you want a decent graphics card you might be better off buying a ready built PC.

(also yes get a new PSU to answer your question)

Personally I wouldn't bother with a 10th or 11th gen and go for a 12th gen CPU if you can get a cheap enough DDR4 motherboard as there is supposed to be a killer low end CPU coming out soon if not already.

Thanks for replying,

I'm not too worried about graphics cards at the moment (unless I have to buy a new pc) seeing as they are really expensive and I'm lucky to actually have one and not an integrated one but is there any possibility you could recommend me a good 12th gen for gaming or tell me the name of that new one that's coming out? Also, my current power supply is 450 watts so if I need to change it then what would i need to go up to?

Associate
OP
Given its age time for an entirely new pc IMO. There’s nothing in spec that worth keeping for an upgrade unfortunately.

Ok cheers mate, I was thinking I might have to do this. By the way, looking at my specs how much do you think my pc will sell for?

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for replying,

I'm not too worried about graphics cards at the moment (unless I have to buy a new pc) seeing as they are really expensive and I'm lucky to actually have one and not an integrated one but is there any possibility you could recommend me a good 12th gen for gaming or tell me the name of that new one that's coming out? Also, my current power supply is 450 watts so if I need to change it then what would i need to go up to?

Its this one Intel 12400/12400f which they reckon will retail for about £175 although I've read some reckon it might be £135-£145. PSU depends on what spec you end up with but at least a 750W but thats just my opinion.

https://wccftech.com/intel-core-i5-...t-benchmarks-faster-than-i7-11700k-in-gaming/

Associate
OP
Its this one Intel 12400/12400f which they reckon will retail for about £175 although I've read some reckon it might be £135-£145. PSU depends on what spec you end up with but at least a 750W but thats just my opinion.

https://wccftech.com/intel-core-i5-...t-benchmarks-faster-than-i7-11700k-in-gaming/

Ok thanks. Seeing as that one is not yet released, what would you say is the best cpu for gaming thats around £150? That 12400/12400F does look worth it though when it comes out!

Associate
Ok cheers mate, I was thinking I might have to do this. By the way, looking at my specs how much do you think my pc will sell for?
Very little.

your current psu would likely pop if you tried to use it to run a modern system due to its age and small wattage.

Listen to the members on this thread - they are making valid points.

Associate
Whole new PC. Keep the gfx card (for now) if you are building it yourself. Otherwise selling it along with the reset of the PC will actually give you a chance of selling it as a whole if you don't fancy braking it up to sell components individually. Or keep it as a backup PC etc.

Back
Top Bottom