Upgrade path from older APSC

Associate
I currently have a old Canon 650D DSLR which has served me well for the past years coupled with half a dozen lenses.
Iphone 14 pro has filled in a lot of the casual photography gap and I keep thinking about a refresh to a mirrorless platform, mainly aiming for something with eye AF and making the jump to full frame.

Keep considering the Canon RP as a good step in the right direction, or splashing out on a R8 and a few primes + adapt some of my EF lenses and sell the EF-S ones, but the fact that Canon has locked out 3rd party lenses really puts me off.

Anything else I should consider, non-Canon or otherwise?

Soldato
I kind of made the same jump as you years ago. Went from a Canon 40D to a Sony A7, now have the A7C.
Really couldn't be happier, and yes eye AF tracking is a game changer for me.

Associate
OP
Sony could be an option, certainly ticks the 3rd party lens support box. I also have a RX100 III which kinda takes me into the Sony UI territory

Associate
Sounds crazy but the 6D is cheap as , used on mpb maybe try one of them or a 5d3 it isnt a huge outlay vs the rp etc maybe a cheap jump to full frame dslr is an option , if you still are set on mirrorles Sony A73 is king for the price point in my opinion.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
To me the jump to FF from APSC is kinda less of a need, the AF features on a mirrorless plaform (Eye AF) are more compelling. The price issue on Canon FF is more of an issue, given they locked out third party lenses..

Soldato
What's your use scenario? If you're in low light then FF is a big improvement from crop. Eye AF is neat without a doubt but it's not magic.

EF lenses onto a RF adaptor work a treat. Again, depending on your use case you might not need a bunch of primes and instead get some quality used variable glass.

All depends what you're after.

Associate
OP
I'm now split by the A6700 (lighter, portable, smaller lenses) and a R8 with a few primes. Looking to head to the photography show for some hands on.

Soldato
Sony a73 then , with a sigma mc11 adaptor , or enjoy all that sexy third party glass
I'd personally skip the a7iii and go for the a7iv instead, it's leagues ahead in every way, AF, new more intuitive menu system etc, and you can get them used for not a great deal more than the used a7iii these days.

Also, if you do choose the Sony route for 3rd party, definitely check out the Laowa range of lenses, there are some really fun and adventurous lenses and they are great quality for not a ton of money!

Associate
I'd personally skip the a7iii and go for the a7iv instead, it's leagues ahead in every way, AF, new more intuitive menu system etc, and you can get them used for not a great deal more than the used a7iii these days.

Also, if you do choose the Sony route for 3rd party, definitely check out the Laowa range of lenses, there are some really fun and adventurous lenses and they are great quality for not a ton of money!
if the budget is there for the 4 then deffo go for it i have a a74 and its a solid piece of kit

Associate
OP
Going to try get to the photography show next week and get a hands on look at the bodies and some lenses. My main concern of going FF is now size, if it's too big / heavy it's probably going to end up left behind more often than not. The R8 with a few primes for walkabouts / travel is appealing at the moment. The 6700 would make a nice compromise in terms of size. Also got a eye open for the Fuji system..

Soldato
Going to try get to the photography show next week and get a hands on look at the bodies and some lenses. My main concern of going FF is now size, if it's too big / heavy it's probably going to end up left behind more often than not. The R8 with a few primes for walkabouts / travel is appealing at the moment. The 6700 would make a nice compromise in terms of size. Also got a eye open for the Fuji system..

It's often more about what kind of pictures you want to take and if you want to edit raw or not. This is all subjective as one person likes clean chocolate box blue sky landscapes whilst another likes monochrome and grain. If you like the pictures and editing or lack of editing, you'll put up with the weight, price, lens choice, functionality etc.

Soldato
Then definitely consider the Sony A7cii. It's a FF body but in the size of an APSC body. I switched from Sony (a6500) to a Fuji X-H2s a couple of years ago, and whilst I loved the 'recipes' the Fuji are great for, the rest of the system I couldn't get along with, I then PX'd it for an X-T4, which i loved the retro look of, but ultimately, I wanted to switch back to Sony, which I was originally planning on doing before the X-H2s, so bought the a7iv as I got a great deal on it (i got $1k off a display model that had never even been turned on), and honestly, I have not regretted it since. The choice of lenses is so good! (That's not to say that Fuji's isn't though). I guess if you're new to both systems, you'll be going in with no pre-bias like I did.

Associate
OP
I went to the photography show back in March and had a chance to play with a few body and lense combinations.

I've settled on a Canon R8 + 28 pancake and the 24-105 F4, which were discounted and a fantastic full frame portable solution with the 28. Been on holiday and it was perfect, got a peak design 3L sling and it fits the 28 with another 2 small primes or the 24-105 for walkabouts. Fantastic colours, handheld evening shots and the AF is superb. Very happy with the choice and I kept my 100L macro + my Sigma 150-600 sport which I can still use with an adapter.

Associate
OP
I really didn't get on with the viewfinder on The A7CII, and having the canon system familiarity and a few lenses I could re-use kept me from jumping ship to Sony.

Soldato
Just get a used EOR R for about £650 - £700

best bargain in Canon these days if not fussy about having to have the latest this and that

Back
Top Bottom